Need help with engine parts

Omega

Resurrectionist.
Reaction score
Basically I've had the bike a few months now, brought it back to life and haven't found many things I don't like about it but I'm wondering, I wanna increase the capacity and compression from the 399cc to about 450cc and from 9.7:1 to roughly 10.5:1. Looking for bigger sleeves, cams & high comp pistons and all the other vitals for the heart of my beast but as I know relatively little about bikes I need help so if you can please do but don't tell me it'll cost too much and it'll never reach what you want cuz I'm chasing answers that'll help me n others that want the same/similar. :thumbsup:

What's your budget? What are you goals for performance (bhp/rwhp or quartermile times or top speed)? I am assuming you'll have to pay for all of the machine work.

These are important questions. I am not trying to discourage you.

Do you have experience with engines other than those on motorcycles? I am assuming you have some knowledge if you're talking about compression ratios.

Used to have a 96 impreza that I rebuilt from the ground up just so I could beat the turbo'd ones but a roo fixed that so now I'm switching to bikes. Any work that needs to be machined I'd have to pay for but everything else I can do myself. As for the kilowatts and and the strip I wouldn't mind more power or to go faster down the strip but I do a lot of highway driving and about a third of that is hills. In all I want a bike that'll lose anything big n heavy through the windies and keep losing them on the straight. And I'm restricted to bikes to choose from so I can't get a r1 or anything like that.

welcome to the forum.

to save replicating information, if you do a search you'll find your answer :thumbsup:

Will do oh drewpy one, but in all seriousness would the engine cope with that much pressure? What pistons would do the job? And why can't I find any parts for my bike? I just need the holy cow handle and it's complete.:thumbsup:

Will do oh drewpy one, but in all seriousness would the engine cope with that much pressure?
it'll go up to 50 bhp (its been done)

and there was a turbo version used in British sprint racing a few years ago.
What pistons would do the job? And why can't I find any parts for my bike? I just need the holy cow handle and it's complete.:thumbsup:

I give in, your doing my head in and I did the search for you

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9388&highlight=pistons&page=2

not sure what a holy cow handle is?

parts are everywhere, be specific

If you are willing to spend 15k on a xs400 you should just as well get a new modern sport bike. You will get a lot more power and speed/handling out of one.

To help you understand why I'm not going out to buy a brand new sports bike, in Australia, beginner riders are limited to power to weight ratios of 150kw/ton and it must be under 650cc... That and the 400r only set me back $300:thumbsup:

Im not meaning to do your head in, I was just after a "this engines piston will and these guys make it" anyways I did some searching and found a few pages, one in particular had a a list of pistons that would do the job. When you look at the stock seat out a xs400r there's a handle type thing at the edge of the seat, I had no idea what it was so its now called a holy cow handle. Oh and thanks for all your input I wasn't expecting to get three big hitters on my first thread.

Over here some truck and cars have the "oh shit" handle and I have used them a few times:yikes: They are handy when you roll.

Custom the frame to support the motor from an R6! All the power you need. Of course, youll have to look into suspension and everything that comes along with the power. If you can fab, it will help a whole lot. Sorry I cant throw numbers at you, I'm rather new to this scene too, I also come from the Impreza community. 2000 RS with an 07 WRX swap I did myself. ;) Everything but the wiring merge. Good luck!

I'm just gonna wing it :D see what happens and put a build up. If it looks stock the I won't have hassles from the fuzz or dot. Scoobies are fun lil cars, mine was a Rx but anyway we are here for bikes not cars. Thanks again for all your input :thumbsup:

Back