Need help with finding the correct chain for my bike

Jbrum

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, first of all, this site is awesome. Guy was pretty much throwing a bike away so I scooped it up. A little bit of elbow grease and I almost have it road worthy. This site and the forum has helped with this quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone had a newer part number for the rear chain? All of my searches have come up as dead ends. I have an 81' x400 s.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Resampled_2014-01-23_08-09-15_4.jpg
    Resampled_2014-01-23_08-09-15_4.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 142
I found the Manual, 45 megs, weird, and free download. here is that link. http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14495

The Manual states DID 50DS. Weird, this next thread is for you, and confirms my thoughts. because the manual confused me.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4895

I went with the 530 102. There is recommendations to replace your Gears. (front/Back) I did the front, upgrading to 17t.

I added the second image, because I thought it was interesting that the manufacturer, wanted the chain checked out every 300 miles. which is what my bike needed.

Attachments

• chainSize.png
    chainSize.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 180
  • GeneralMaintenance.png
    GeneralMaintenance.png
    274.9 KB · Views: 152
I might be considered a heretic here by some but I would go to the local tractor supply house or hardware store and buy a box of #50 chain and put that on after cutting to the right length. Unless the gears are very noticeably worn I'd just run them for now.

I'm going on the assumption from your post that this is what I would call a "barn find" bike. So I would hold off putting too much money into it until I had ridden it a few hundred miles to be sure there wasn't some hidden problem. Also unless you are sure you will like it just do the work needed to make it safe, good tires and brakes, fresh oil and filter and then ride it some.

And what's with the white stuff in the pictures? Your location is listed as Hilton Head SC! I'm in the snow belt up in NY and we have not had any of that here!

Last edited:
I moved from Pittsburgh to Hilton Head a few years back. That polar vortex crap had to escape the snow! So far so good. I've finished making the new wiring harness and took it for a short spin runs like crap but started right up. Gonna rebuild the carbs see how it goes. here's a pic of it now with the wood stripe down the tank and new tires

Attachments

• WP_20151204_17_11_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151204_17_11_57_Pro.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 136
Back