Need help with what wheels I have

joemoto311

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Ok first off thank you for the site and the help it has given me so far. I see many have had the same issues as me with matching parts to a maxim. I learned quickly when I ordered a xs400 triple tree...then finding out they have 33mm and the maxim uses 35mm. Well unfortunately I am a proud owner of two other previous(at least that I know of) project bike. Only thing I'm pretty confident about is the motor running. When I bought the bike it didn't have the front end on. It had the wheel attached to the forks but the forks weren't in the triple tree. It wasn't until I got it home that I realized that the triple tree clamps were bent. I knew I wasn't going to use them so I bought another set on eBay. Well when they arrived I soon came to realize why they were bent. Someone else did exactly what I did and ordered xs400 parts not maxim parts and tried to squeeze the forks in. So now I am where I am and now starting to realize that the parts on this bike might be to a xs but not to this specific bike. Right now I do have the correct triple tree in the mail but I am very confused about the wheels. They might appear to be off a 650 but I am u sure. The forks have been rubbed bad. They have dual disc upfront and I know that's not stock. Well problem is, I don't know for one if they will work, 2 I have no idea what bearings the wheel needs, and 3 no idea about the speedo. I have attached some pics. If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

The bike is an 82 xs400maxim and these pics basically show how I received the bike. I hope I am posting this in the correct section. If not I apologize in advance. I am not new to forums or modifying stuff.

Posted via Mobile

My phone isn't uploading pics...it's a 3 blade design and like I said it has dual discs on the front. I will upload pics when I get my laptop. Sorry

Posted via Mobile

here are the pictures

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 246
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 228
  • photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 243
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 236
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 258
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 249
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 244
They are likely Yamaha wheels - probably Seca 900.
The 400 seca had similar triangular spokes but they were narrower, there were 4 of them per wheel rather than 3, and the front came (standard at least) with a single disc brake. Both front and back were 18".

Last edited:
Back