neutral light

wikreigs

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I am fixing a 81 400 special. I got it running and every thing works except the neutral light. It will only turn over with the clutch in, even with it in neutral. Any help appreciated.

Turn over as in using the electric start or via some other means? Kick start? Manually at the crank?

I believe there is a sensor in the clutch lever so that it must be pulled in to use the electric start, so that is normal.

Your neutral switch could be bad or the light on the gauge cluster might be bad.

Mine can be started with the electric without the clutch in, so :agree: with the culprit being the neutral switch. You can check by grounding the sky blue wire in the main wiring harness, or the blue at the neutral switch. Do NOT keep it that way though, because it will allow the e-start to operate with the bike in gear.
full

I always start it up with the clutch in anyway - I once ran a car through the back of a garage when it was in gear, I didn't notice, and I didn't put the clutch in before cranking the starter. Bad enough in my parent's Toyota Tercel, much worse when pulling away from the coffee shop in front of a group of girls...

The neutral switch is under the front sprocket cover on the left side of the engine. It is made of plastic on my '78 and held in by 3 screws. It seems more likely to me that the wires running to the switch are bad or the light is bad. If you remove the switch do not over-tighten the screws holding it on when you put it back on.

Are you new to bikes? Are you sure the bike is actually in neutral? It is easy to go right past it.

It is in neutral. The bulb is good. I will check the wires to the switch. I did ground the sky blue wire at the plug under the seat. The light came on.

Got the cover off and boy was it ever nasty under there. When I got it clean I found the blue wire broken. Reattached it and everything works as it should. Thanks for the help!

Back