New 1980 XS 400 owner

februarysnake

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just purchased my first bike. I love it. I need to get a trickle charger but I don't currently have access to an outlet anywhere near where I store it. Haven't had to kickstart it because the battery hasn't died yet (only had it a couple weeks and I've been starting it periodically), and I'm wondering how difficult that will be. I'm also not sure which parts on this bike are stock, and which aren't. Any feedback would be awesome, and I'm happy to be here!

I read one of the long posts listing all of the things I should have done to the bike after purchasing it. I'll have to find a shop near me to service it, which I haven't done yet, but I will!

that's a good looking xs400! congrats on the purchase and welcome!

things that are not stock: the seat and rear cowl (there's probably some modding to the seat hoop in the frame there as well), the handlebars, the front fork protector rubbers, tail light and I'm suspecting they lowered the headlight mounting points as well, but not 100% sure on that. Oh and the paint job of course ;)

If you're going to get someone to service it you should take into account the stuff in my what-to-do-first thread (I'm guessing that's the one you read). Depending on the mechanic and shop you go to, they may or may not include certain maintenance when you ask for a 'full service'. Make sure they also grease the swingarm bearing and clean the carbs.

also if there's not one on already, stick an inline fuel filter on asap :)

Nice bike.

If you are in Denver USA why is there a horrible old mini with a UK plate in the backround? :D

Yeah that's a pretty bike. I wonder if the PO ever posted about it in this forum.

To keep the battery healthy you need trickle charge, or you just gotta run it about 10 minutes at 3500+ RPM highway riding (assuming the charging system is healthy). The charging system on these bikes will not create enough power to charge at idle, in fact, you probably have a deficit after a few minutes at idle.

Many of the typical items that need to be checked can be performed with minimal tool investment, and many of the items that may need replacement would also be fairly cheap. I might recommend you try some of the stuff on your own or with a knowledgeable friends help, as the dollar value of the bike its usually surpassed by about 8 hours of your typical pro shop's labor.:doh:

Congrats on the new bike! We love the xs (obviously) and yours is a nice looking specimen!

Posted via Mobile

Thanks so much for the information and compliments everyone. :) I feel slightly relieved to see all of these replies because I will definitely need some help with this bike.

So today it wouldn't start. I wasn't planning on riding because of the weather, but I start it periodically to charge the battery. This was before I read the comment above saying that it won't charge unless it's at highway speeds. I did a run through of all the basic stuff it could be with my friend over the phone, but nothing is working. He builds bikes and is very familiar with the XS400 but he can only do so much from VA.

I guess my question is: How do I find someone locally who is knowledgeable about these bikes who could help me out? I need to get it to a mechanic, but I cannot move it out of my parking garage because I don't have a trailer. It's on a slope, and I'm pretty small so I'm worried that if I try to kick start it, I'll lose my balance and drop the bike. Not to mention, I haven't actually been on a bike since I took the safety course and I'll need someone to move it in and out of my parking garage when I practice on warmer days. I have a few acquaintances in Denver who ride, but they all have new sport bikes and give me shit about buying the XS in the first place. I need to find a friend who can be patient and helpful with me while I get comfortable on it.

On another note, I can't use a trickle charger right now because I live in an apartment and the bike is parked nowhere near an electrical outlet. I'm not going to be able to reach highway speeds anytime soon as I have only been on a bike for about 6 hours total, and its the middle of winter. I plan to practice riding in the parking lots surrounding my building on warm days, and hopefully I'll be riding regularly by late spring. Not sure what I should do when the battery dies if I can't even get it in and out of the garage myself.

I'm beginning to worry that this wasn't a good choice for a first time rider with no mechanical knowledge and no local friends with mechanical knowledge/interest. I just really wanted to do something for myself, but now I feel like I'm in way over my head.

Thanks for any help guys.

Pull the battery out and bring it inside to charge. If you're not going to ride it, don't leave it outside in the cold.

You don't have to ride at highway speeds to charge the bike, but you need to keep it above idle for sure. If you're only starting and idling the bike you will simply drain the battery.

Don't panic too much. It looks like you bought a bike that someone actually cared about.

Before even trying to jump in an fix anything you need to know how things work.

This is a super general overview of many of the parts you'll find on a motorcycle. It's short and will get you started.

This is how to ride a motorcycle. Watch this to find out what you need to know now that you finished the course.

This is someone on a Ninja 250 keeping up with and in many cases passing large sport bikes. The biggest factor on the street is the rider and your own skill level. Ride well and you'll have no problem keeping up with your friends.

Back