New 1980 XS400 what to do?

hospadar

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just got my hands on a 1980 XS400 (SG I think? Not sure).

Couple things I want to do:
- Replace the headlight: The headlight in it right now appears to be a non-original sealed beam. It looks to small, and it seem like someone attempted to bondo around the edges to fill it in? Very weird. It works, but it's a little crooked and it's wimpy, so I think that needs to go.

Thinking about replacing with the candlepower lamp -- anything I need to do electrically? Can I use the higher wattage lamp (60W/55W) safely or should I go with the 45/45? Do I need new fuses?

- Fork Gaiters/Dust covers: Probably this winter I'll pull the forks to replace the seals and the fork oil, I'd like to put on some fork gaiters/boots/dust covers at the same time. Mostly because I like the look, but it can't hurt to protect the forks as well. Any idea where I can get boots that will fit this bike?

- New handlebars: I'm not wild about the swept-back handlebars, I think I might go with something a little straighter, maybe some bars from an enduro of some sort.

- Clutch cable: Clutch works fine, but it looks like the inner plastic sleeve of the clutch cable housing is pulling out of the housing a little, so I may put a new cable on.

Anything I'm missing? Something really easy and cheap I should do? Something I should check right away? It's a pretty beat-up funky thing, so I probably won't do a ton of stuff to it, but it does seem to work in every way that really matters.

Back