New 1980 XS400 what to do?

hospadar

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just got my hands on a 1980 XS400 (SG I think? Not sure).

Couple things I want to do:
- Replace the headlight: The headlight in it right now appears to be a non-original sealed beam. It looks too small, and it seem like someone attempted to bondo around the edges to fill it in? Very weird. It works, but it's a little crooked and it's wimpy, so I think that needs to go.

Thinking about replacing with the candlepower lamp -- anything I need to do electrically? Can I use the higher wattage lamp (60W/55W) safely or should I go with the 45/45? Do I need new fuses?

- Fork Gaiters/Dust covers: Probably this winter I'll pull the forks to replace the seals and the fork oil, I'd like to put on some fork gaiters/boots/dust covers at the same time. Mostly because I like the look, but it can't hurt to protect the forks as well. Any idea where I can get boots that will fit this bike?

- New handlebars: I'm not wild about the swept-back handlebars, I think I might go with something a little straighter, maybe some bars from an enduro of some sort.

- Clutch cable: Clutch works fine, but it looks like the inner plastic sleeve of the clutch cable housing is pulling out of the housing a little, so I may put a new cable on.

Anything I'm missing? Something really easy and cheap I should do? Something I should check right away? It's a pretty beat-up funky thing, so I probably won't do a ton of stuff to it, but it does seem to work in every way that really matters.

Hi. Welcome to the Forum.
I assume the new love is running and running well. If so, the easiest preventive maintenance is installing a $3 in-line fuel filter. It keeps any Detritus from a 32 year old tank from getting into those oh-so delicate carbs. Boiling them in lemon juice seems like something you will want to avoid for as long as possible.
Are the tires, sprockets and chain in reasonable shape. A lot of bikes I looked at needed all new - it seems to be what often "inspires" owners to sell bikes. That and the need to boil carbs.

I agree with Lou...

One thing that I looked into to were the Carb Boots between the carb and engine.. mine are cracked and old (but no air leaks from what i can tell). I tightened them down and she purrs nicer. However - i plan on replacing them this winter.. but for now I'd check all the connections and snug them up. Also it's an easy check to look at your air boxes and look into the condition they are in...

congrats and welcome!

Tires are pretty much brand new, chain seems so-so (to my inexpert eye). I can pull it up off the back of the sprocket maybe 1/4 of the tooth. Only has 3 or 4k miles on it, I'd assume the chain and sprockets are original (although it looks well-greased and not rusty).

Previous owner claimed to have rebuilt the carbs (and that seems likely, they look cleaner than the surrounding bits, and everything seems to run fine - plus he is a verified ex-mechanic)

Fuel filter is a good thought, I'll probably do that (although the gas tank looks remarkably rust-free inside).

I can't really tell anything particular that might be wrong with it. It does seem to misfire occasionally (usually at low RPM and/or when it's not warmed up), I'll probably check and maybe replace the plugs too (if they look bad). It's pretty rumbly and noisy, but no noises that sound particularly heinous.

Also oil change is on the schedule. Nothing is apparently wrong with the oil but I figure better to do it right off the bat not knowing how long the current oil has been in there.

As to fuel filter - I assume the cheap ones the hardware store has for lawn mowers are good enough?
Probably. I ordered mine from the local motorcycle accessories shop along with a sprocket. Only took a couple of days to arrive. I can't imagine anything cheaper - less than $3. Plastic with gold colour mesh screen inside. They're pictured in the thread.
I worry less about what might come off the inside of a well maintained tank and more about what might find its way into the tank from a gas pump or any time the filler cap is off. Apparently boiling the carbs for 5 hours doesn't smell so good in the house.

Apparently boiling the carbs for 5 hours doesn't smell so good in the house.
My wife said something to that effect when I brought it up that I wanted to do that, I think her quote was
Over my dead body
So I did it on a turkey fryer (oil fryer) in the garage, where I use to do the turkey for thanksgiving.
Tobie

I may try to the "i didn't know...:shrug:" line. Roughly 2 hours into the boil this winter...followed with, "we're halfway there, I might as well finish now...:thumbsup:" Lol.

(so none of you are ever allowed to mention I commented on this thread :laugh:)

... So I did it on a turkey fryer (oil fryer) in the garage, where I use to do the turkey for thanksgiving...
Thanks Tobie. You have helped me identify a great new business opportunity. With the exception of the peak maple syrup boiling season, we are now accepting bookings on my outdoor carbs boiler. :wink2:
(so none of you are ever allowed to mention I commented on this thread :laugh:)
Mum's the word.

Attachments

• My Carb Boiler.JPG
    My Carb Boiler.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Whoa! I just marked out a bunch of trees for maple sap next year on the ole hunting property up north. I suppose I can make carb syrup at the same time.

Back