New and got a question

rc_mcwaters3

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey a guy has a XS 400 for sale that runs and drives, here is the Pic.

he wants 500 cash is that a good number if it is mechanically sound or is it not worth it?

Welcome to the Forum. Hope you become permanent.

$500 sounds like a very good price if it's running well.
In our market, a really good runner, which can pass the mechanical inspection and which doesn't need major parts like mufflers, tires, sprockets, chain, brakes, cables ... can command $1000 +/-. It also depends on the mileage - how many on this one?

If this bike doesn't need any or much of that right away, then it is a good deal. If you are not sure, search a couple of parts places for prices, add what you think it will need to the $500. If you get north of $800 and are still counting, take a deep breath and sleep on it.

Oh, don't forget to count the cost of safe handlebars and repainting the tank :wink2:

yea tank will be painted and the handle bars fixed or replaced.

from what iv got so far it just needs a tune up but I don't know the mileage still waiting to hear back from him

If it runs good and has a title it don't sound like a bad buy. I do notice that it will need signals and brake light rear shocks (struts are no good:wink2:) and most likely mufflers.

There is a catch there is no title to it but because its an 81 I just need a bill of sale to get it registered.

he has two boxes of parts that go with it that came of it stock, still unknown miles the odometer didn't work or didn't seem to work right. still thinking of buying it runs fine just has small issues.

thought?

Here in NY you can't register a bike with out a title. If the bike was made on or before 1972 you can do it with a bill of sale.

seems legit on the running part the carb needs to be gone through and cleaned but it seemed mechanically sound. it ran out of gas last night sitting at idle so im going back tonight to ride it and see if I like it.

its set up as a hard tail and has one rear break light.... really questioning the thinking behind that but hey its not my monkey (yet)

Last edited:
It's super easy, I just did it. You fill out a form, stick it in an envelope with a check, they send you a plate and a registration. It's just that it has to be older than 15 years

Then you can ride it in Vermont. Let us know how getting it swapped over to a nys title, inspection and insurance works out.

Funny, about five years ago a guy ahead of me in the dmv line was trying this and they said no. :shrug: Oh well maybe it's the office you go to.

Well I bought it lol

Drove it home to, he got it from another guy who bought 4 of these bikes not working and made one that worked. He has extra parts for it and I'll post pics of those in the am. But it's redid usually loud and had a terrible welding job to make it a hard tail.

First order of business, convert it back to a soft tail or leave it a hard tail?

He made it a hard tail by cutting the middle out of the shock and putting a pice of bar in there to keep it from moving.... Not really my thing but it's not a terrible idea.

Last edited:
I would put it back to soft. Your body will thank you and it will handle WAAAY better.

Back