new at this so just looking for sum help.......

sbondoni

i did it 1 piece@a time
Reaction score
Yo im very new at ownership and this website . I have a 81' yamaha xs400 special 2 and would like to turn it into a cafe style racer ! I know nothing bout this bike or this website but have been poking around and wanted to start getting intouch with other members for a little help and this is the only way i know how . I want to keep my budget low and with as little customizing as i can but with the most overall view change. I bought it off a fellow that didnt take very good care of it . When i got it i had trouble keeping it running. When it would die (after i ran'er for a while) i couldnt get'er started again . I also was having trouble with keeping the batt. charged . So i just put'er in storage for the past couple yrs and took care of some other priorities first . After looking on the net i knew nothing bout cafe racers and fell in love to think my bike could look like that ! So Im ready to giv'er another try so i am waiting on new intake carb boots in the mail i just bought on ebay (the others were dry rotted) . I just got the batt. fully charged and have starded taking off unnecessary parts to stream line the look . Next I would like to change the handle bars and seat > any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! I look to spend a lot more time on this site and even more on the road !

Welcome! I would start by looking at build threads if you haven't already. They are full of awesome ideas and things people have done on the cheap. There are also a lot of topics on the forum about the charging system on our bikes, so you should be able to find out how to troubleshoot whatever problem you're having through reading those. The site also has a bunch of XS400 manuals in a stickied thread so take a look at those too.

Just use the search function for whatever you're looking for and, more than likely, someone has probably posted about it before. Oh, and as far as handlebars and seats go, they are definitely a personal preference thing, so look at a lot of pictures to get an idea of what you think looks good and what will be comfortable for you to ride with. I searched for cafe style bikes on Google images before deciding on the style of handlebars I wanted and I haven't really gotten a seat set in stone, but there is a ton of inspiration out there.

TL;DR:
Read lots of threads on everything. Use the search function for everything. Google images is cool.

Back