New bike?

bentwrench

DOHC Crazy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have a line on a nice, complete, running 1975 XS650. $1000 all in. I'm thinking maybe if my contract extension works out, I'll have a runner to ride this summer while I finish the XS400 Bobber... more details to come!

I seen a very nice 82 seca xj650 near me today 9k miles.If I had the cash I`d be all over it.

Attachments

• yamaha seca.jpg
    yamaha seca.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 259
It just runs? How is the condition otherwise? A grand is a lot if the condition is poor otherwise. Still, they can be hard to find.

I have a line on a nice, complete, running 1975 XS650. $1000 all in. I'm thinking maybe if my contract extension works out, I'll have a runner to ride this summer while I finish the XS400 Bobber... more details to come!
A couple of my fellow geezers are members of the CVMG and have 4 or 5 bikes each - one being an xs650 in each case. They razz me about the 400 and want me to move up to at least the xs650 (I posted about that last summer).
Those things are quite highly prized, especially the older ones, and I have never seen one that cheap unless it is a wreck. You should definitely buy it as you will have NO trouble getting all your money out later (maybe from me). Do you have any pics you can post? But no links to the ad or you'll get scooped!

Last year was my 1st year riding a bike,good learning experince for me both riding and the machanics.I`ve all ready out grew it though.Dont get me wrong I love the xs400 and if i ever got another bike thats bigger in cc`s I`d teach the mrs how to ride my xs.I`ve got her interest so thats a start.

I'm really just looking for a running bike for the summer. I've owned as big as a 1200 cc Bandit, and am not really looking to make a permanent change. I really do like the XS400, and have been loving the journey I'm taking with it. So don't worry - if I get this, it doesn't mean I'm leaving the 400 behind. After 14 years of riding, I've realized that riding in the city doesn't need more than 400ccs.

Anyway, it's only a possibility if I get either an extension with this client, or another client on my company's books. Otherwise, the budget gets turned into a basement renovation (which is not nearly as much fun... :()

I have the oppurtunity right now to trade my xs for Suzuki gs 750.Not sure about it realy.I know my bike and to start over on something else at this point without knowing much about the other bike is something I dont know if want to do.

I have the oppurtunity right now to trade my xs for Suzuki gs 750.Not sure about it realy...
From what I understand, the engines are almost indestructible but you have to really love checking valves and adjusting breaker points.
Our xs400s have 2 valves per cylinder, even the DOHCs. The GS750 has 4 per = 16 in total :yikes:
For my first bike, I would have bought a GS250 if it had started when I went to look, even though it had 8 valves. Then, I found a Yamaha 1cyl 250 that ran perfect and only needed 2 valves.
It was one of the reasons I passed on a GS400 for my second bike and snapped up the xs400.

Yeah, but the GS engine is a really good one too. You're looking at a major difference in horsepower from our little twins to an inline 4 with almost twice the displacement. Different character to the bike too - 4 cylinders is a lot wider and heavier. Better for long distance, but probably not as much fun for pottering around in the city.

The longer I ride, the more convinced I am that I really need more than 1 bike. I need a long distance tourer, a city runaround, a hooligan bike, and possibly an enduro or dirt bike. I think I'd be happy then...

... The longer I ride, the more convinced I am that I really need more than 1 bike. I need a long distance tourer, a city runaround, a hooligan bike, and possibly an enduro or dirt bike. I think I'd be happy then...
I know what you mean. One of the last days I rode last December, I was having coffee with 3 other guys. Among us we had 16 bikes. I had a lousy one bike and each of them had 5!
I'm still thinking about that GoldWing 1200 I saw ....

I just need a bike that has a bit more power and weight this way if I wanna cruze the hiway I can.One thing about this possible trade bike is it unmolested.The PO doesnt know anything about working on bikes so he hasnt touched anything.I notice the gs750 runs the mikuni bs32`s so if I had to carb work it would be easy to rebuild them.:thumbsup:Im waiting on him to send me some pics.Im told the bike needs nothing but an airbox and is completely stock.Lou the bike is 82 0r 83 it should have electronic ignition right?From what you say about adjusting the valaves if they need it sounds like a PIA.We`ll see I`ll be mking a trip down to the city to look at this week.

... Im told the bike needs nothing but an airbox and is completely stock.Lou the bike is 82 0r 83 it should have electronic ignition right?From what you say about adjusting the valaves if they need it sounds like a PIA.We`ll see I`ll be mking a trip down to the city to look at this week.
It's rather confusing. According to the article linked below, the GS750 has 8 valves :thumbsup:, 4 carbs and may only have breaker points since it was only made for 3 years (1976-79) - replaced by the GSX750. So the one you are looking at may either not be a GS750 or is not an '82/83 :shrug:.
Could be honest confusion by the seller, but go down there well armed.It sounds like one hell of a bike though - especially if it is the standard model with the spoke wheels. Given all the apparent strong points, it might be worth fiddling with points.

Last edited:
Lou, if you decide on that Goldwing, definitely read some of the buying guides. They're great bikes, with a couple of failure points. Some are easy to check (the lower crossbar under the engine rots out, as it's so close to the ground, and carries a lot of weight.) Some are not (the timing belts. When that goes, so does the engine, so these often get replaced as a cautionary measure by new buyers. You can do it yourself, but it takes time.)

I think a GoldWing, even a "little" one with no Tupperware, would still be too much of a jump.
Might have more fun with an early 80s 500 Virago or Shadow, maybe a GS like Scorpio or that xs 650 if you don't bite. :wink2:

Early 80s Shadows have fuel pump problems (Honda styling put the bottom of the gas tank below the carbs, so a pump is needed to get the fuel up. And the pumps famously die frequently.)

500 Virago isn't a whole lot more power... I'd look for a Nighthawk 550 or 650 if you don't mind the styling, and are looking for a bit more oomph.

As of now Im thinking this deal isnt going to go through,I called the person back up left a message said hey Im still waiting for pics of your bike and I need his email to show him mine.Oh well I still like my xs maybe something will show up later.

... 500 Virago isn't a whole lot more power... I'd look for a Nighthawk 550 or 650 if you don't mind the styling, and are looking for a bit more oomph.
Not sure I want more oomph - I have a DOHC, remember? :wink2:
I think I just want another one - so I have an answer when asked "what else do you have?" :shrug:

Early 80s Shadows have fuel pump problems (Honda styling put the bottom of the gas tank below the carbs, so a pump is needed to get the fuel up. And the pumps famously die frequently.)...
Looked at an 83 with 50k wanting $1200. Pretty nice but hate the look of the rad. I looked underneath for something looking like a fuel pump but couldn't find anything - unless it is buried down under the carbs and then pumps the gas back up.
Has anybody heard of a Yamaha Radian 600? It would be half the size of the GoldWing and way, way lighter than the GS 750. Still only 8 valves, no fuel pump, no ugly rad.

Last edited:
Back