New cafe build

Put on new turn signals... decided to not do white and black it out instead. Stripped the springs and sprayed them black... I also lowered the speedo, tach and headlight. I made up some brackets and lowered all of it about 1.5" for the clubman bars i'll be putting on. It's coming together but there's still a lot to do...

I repainted the headlight trim.. removed a few more things, removed and painted the stock handle bars. I rotated them down to where it was comfortable and I could still turn. Went on a nice ride today too...

I even painted the backside of the license plate...

I still plan on getting clubmans and rearsets, new rear shocks, swapping in a modern front end etc... I'll always be changing it but for now it's running great and it looks decent.

Nice job! That looks like a badass street tracker right now
Can I post a pic of it in the xs400 tribute thread on CF?

Nice job! That looks like a badass street tracker right now
Can I post a pic of it in the xs400 tribute thread on CF?

Thanks man and ya you or I can post a pic on CF...

I'll take a pic of the tail light when I get a chance. I used VHT nightshade... it's paint specifically designed for tail lights.

I seems jackets are the new seat covers:laugh: I use a denim one that I have has since I was 16:)

Last edited:
CF - Custom fighters

Chris your jacket seat looks nice.. I think vintage leather jackets make the best seat covers... thrift stores are a good place to find some great material

CF - Custom fighters

Chris your jacket seat looks nice.. I think vintage leather jackets make the best seat covers... thrift stores are a good place to find some great material

LOL if you are building on the cheep like me thrift stores are great and they in general help people out as an added bonus. Priced leather at the fabric store for a new seat and it was going to be at least $30. The thrift store has a bunch of old leather jackets for $7-$10. We have Habitat for Humanity "Re-use" building supply store where people donate left over or slightly used building supplies in town. Got a scrap piece of plywood, 2X2's and a piece of ridged insulation to build my fiberglass seat pan mold for less than $10.

I wanted to save as much money (and time) as I could. I think the seat took like 30mins to make and I had the jacket for 22 years:laugh:

I'll post up on CF in a little bit... Thanks everyone!

Here's the support I welded on for the hump. I just measured it all out and the seat rests perfectly on it

Here's the tail light on without brakes... the light in the garage kinda drowns it out but it's definitely bright enough

and here it is with the brakes applied... by the way the clear portion is not blacked out.

Here is how I mounted the seat... I welded in a piece of steel between the frame and it bolts right to it. The piece also supports the seat...

and then I made a piece out of the jacket using the buttons on the jacket to hide the screws... Im sure it could be done better but I really like the look of the jacket and using different parts of it to make it all come together

This is how I lowered the headlight... just a small bracket out of some sheet metal

I also lowered the speedo and tach.. the bracket sits on top and has bolts welded to it. I cut those bolts out and mounted the bracket below where it normally mounts and used a 1.25" round spacer. The new bolt runs through the spacer... Sounds confusing but hopefully the pic helps...

I also decided the foam I used originally wasn't what I wanted to I pulled the leather back and put in 2 layers of high density foam.. so much better.

Back