New Day, New Problem!

Fullmetal

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up guys. I spent all of christmas day doing some tinkering with my xs360. Slapped on my pods again, fixed the leaky petcock finally, even wrapped my 2-to-1 exhaust and installed that on the bike. Got a jet kit from the boys over at 6 Sigma and upgraded the jets in my carbs. All in all, it was a pretty productive day.

Yesterday morning, I went to try the bike out and was met with much disappointment. Starting the bike cold, it idles nicely after I set the speed and the mixture. But when I put it in first and tried to take off, the bike bogged down and stalled as I let off the clutch. When I would try to start it back up, this time the idle was below 1000, even with the throttle fully opened. I let it sit for a while, and it would start back up normally again, but once I put it into gear, it dies. Bump started the bike in second and it seemed to be fine, but only when the rpms were above 2500. When below 2500, the bike would start to bog back down again. When switching gears, the bike would literally die and come back on as soon as the lever was released. No matter how I tune the idle speed and mixture, this continues to happen.

Did some searching on here for a similar problem, one solution was to adjust the clutch. Did that, and the problem still occurs. Since this is happening below 2500, would this be a problem with the pilot system? Or could there be something I'm (probably) missing? I'm running 155 mains, 22.5 pilots, and the e-clip is 4 notches down on the needle (6 Sigma recommended this mod). Stock jets for the 360 are 145, 17.5, and the e-clip 3 notches down.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay! :eek:

Your way too rich for the carbs!! I would go 135 main witch is stock, 17.5 pilot witch is stock and third clip on the needle, also stock. Set the idle mix screws to 1.5 turns out from lightly seated. Why I say this is I run xs360 carbs on my 400 with pods and a 2-1 with a free flow muffler (glass pack) and that is what worked for me. I started with 3 turns out on the mix screws and a 140 main and it was too rich. Also make sure the floats are set to factory spec and the carbs are synced with a manometer. The sigma 6 "jet kits" are crap and they have no idea!! Use mikuni jets only as the Chinese knock offs are not metered the same.

Attachments

• DSC02798.jpg
    DSC02798.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 186
I had a feeling I was running rich, but I was hoping it wasn't from the jetting! A friend that I recently met, who owns a couple 80s streetfighters, told me about 6 Sigma and how "awesome" their kits were. I took a chance and it bit me apparently haha.

Thanks chris, I'll put the original jets back in and hopefully all will be right with the world again. I'll post an update soon.

Well, went back to stock jetting and now I can't get the bike to start. Even tried bump starting it, which usually works, but still no luck. When bumping it, it weakly fires up but dies, no matter how much throttle I'm giving it.

I'm scratchin my head here. Maybe the 17.5 pilot is too small?

First off what "pods" are you using? Make sure the carbs are very clean inside and all the adjustments to the motor are done ( valves, timing, points, the spark plugs are clean and gaped etc.) Make sure you have the correct pilot jets as the xs360 uses a different type than almost any other bike. These type of pilot jets are very hard to find as they where only used on the 76-77 xs360 and the 76-77 xs750 carbs. In the pics it is the jet on the right. If all that is correct try and turn out the idle mix screws another 1/2 turn. You can keep trying that until you get to 4 turns out. Remember to use the choke and keep the throttle off when starting. If you open the throttle it will add too much air and fuel and foul the plugs.

Attachments

• DSC02810.jpg
    DSC02810.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC02811.jpg
    DSC02811.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 211
emgo pod are the worst for tuning and running proper. They have the "lip" that on the xs400 carbs will cause issue with air jets where it clamps on. The are a pleated filter witch is not cv type carb friendly and the cheap ass crappy filter material they use won't hold oil like the K&N type cotton gauze will. There for it's nothing more than a screen than filter.

The pods I have are just some generic brand that I got off eBay for 20 bucks. They're not attached directly to the carbs, however, but the stock H-pipe. I heard using the H-pipe would give better flow than if they were attached to carbs themselves. I did all the engine adjustments a few weeks ago, but I'll double check everything soon. I have the right jets, the PO assured me he only replaced the gaskets in the carbs when he had the bike.

I tried to get it started again yesterday morning, and after 2 desperate hours, I managed to get it bump started. But it was weak, popping, sputtering and still didn't like being in low rpms. Mixture screws were 3 1/2 turns out. I would have kept tinkering with it, but I had to go to work.

Last edited:
Did the bike start and run good before the changes you made? If you have not cleaned the carbs and adjusted the floats then I would do it. Take out the idle mix screws and make sure the needles have not broken off in the bodies of the carbs. If all that is good my guess is the emgo pods are most of the problem and you will need to go up a size on the pilot jet to a 20. Here is the problem tho:( A 20 pilot jet that would work in these type carbs are very hard to find and where only used ( from what I have been told) in the bs32's used in the xs250 carbs. Those carbs where only sold overseas and never here in the u.s.

Before i put the pods on, i tore down the carbs and cleaned them. When i put the filters on, the bike would start and run just fine after a bit of tinkering. Once i got the jet kit in the mail, that's when i slapped on the new exhaust pipes. Once i did that, that's when the trouble started.

I'll make a trip down to my fav parts store in the area and try my luck with finding the pilot jets. Hopefully luck will be on my side here for once!

Make sure to start with fresh plugs as the others could be fouled out. If the bike is setup right and all is working as it should the bike should fire up on the first or second kick with no "tinkering"

Sorry for the late response, work has been kicking my ass lately. I couldn't find the pilot jets, as expected. My old pipes apparently got mixed in and thrown out with the holiday thrash pile, which I'm super mad about!

The biggest problem out of anything has always been the bike's battery. It discharges really fast, which is why I do a lot of bump starting. The cold weather hasn't been helping it, either. But the LiFePO4 battery I bought a while ago came in today, finally. So I slapped that bad boy in the bike, opened up my garage door for ventilation (it was raining ice, plus I read about air temperatures affecting carb settings and stuff) and the bike started up in 2 kicks!

It idled nicely for about a minute or so before the revs shot up to about 4500 and stayed there. I thought my idle speed was off so I messed with the throttle stop screw, but it didn't response to any change I made. Same with the mixture screws. Checked for vacuum leaks, didn't find any. I feel like I'm getting somewhere finally, but this puzzles me.

My 79 did that until I synched the carbs.one of the carbs butterflies was slightly open at idle.I noticed it when looking at the carbs in the light.could see air through one side.just a thought

Back