New guy here - my introduction

e007dw

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Dennis Wegner. I live in near St. Paul Minnesota and I've been riding motorcycles (and mini bikes) since I was 9 years old. I've owned a bunch of different bikes over the years but am currently riding an '09 Yamaha FZ1 and I'm getting started on a '77 XS400 project I'm hoping to finish by next Summer. I've been lurking on this, and other, forums gathering information before I finalize my build plan. I'm a long way from a final plan but I guess that's half of the fun. I don't plan to do an original restoration but something of a "retro-mod". There are so many mods I could make but I don't want to lose the original personality of the bike though.

I'm not new to building fun stuff after building 2 experimental airplanes. I'm looking forward to building something that doesn't leave the ground. If the bike stops working then.... oh well... I pull over! Airplanes get REAL quiet when something stops working right. Anyway, I visited my local powder coat guy tonight and got some quotes on getting that work done. My wife is helping me choose a paint scheme.

I'm headed to Milwaukee to the Rockerbox MC show next weekend to get some ideas. I'll post pics of my bike once I get started on it. Probably a parts/accessories list as I get closer. At this point I'm still gathering info but my initial plan is to tear down the bike in November and get the major parts powder coated in December.

I'm looking forward to exchanging info with you folks - it's been fun lurking so far!

Dennis

Welcome 007,

Show some pictures and check out all the new options in powder coating; like metal flake, two step metallic. Powder coating is getting better and better. Good luck-

+1 daddio.
and as for mods, look at houghmade's bike. some spit-n-polish, lower bars and different seat make it look loads better. new frame loop for the seat and smaller/closer turnsignals go a long way.

Heya!!

I am a couple hours to your east... =)

I have a 78 XS400 - Parting it out...

And I drive a 80 XS400 daily... and mod it daily... lol

Welcome!!!

Peace

David

Back