New guy starting a project soon!

Small_bore_noob

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just had the good fortune of discovering a RIDICULOUSLY cheap beautifully restored 1980 xs400 today that the owner just fixed up and let sit. Bad for him, good for me I suppose. I am big into the sport/sport tour thing, but have always wanted to get into the small bore stuff and find cafe's and bobber's to be some of the best looking bikes. I look forward to sharing the experience with you all. Here is a picture of the new purchase on the trailer. Fresh paint and a powder coated frame...can't wait to start cutting her up :D

Here are some details, from what I gather.

12,xxx miles

5 year old ground up restoration

upgraded tires with the rear at up to a 130

Mac exhaust?

...only $300 investment thus far

Attachments

• 082511183211.jpg
    082511183211.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 184
I would say you got an AMAZING deal on that!! it looks like a great bike from the pic. Good luck with your build!:thumbsup:

I have since started to tear into the bike a bit and am having a blast so far. I am working on a battery relocation tray drawing up some designs for velocity stacks for a friend to turn on his lathe. I have removed pretty much everything from the tank back and am measuring the bike up for a new harness to run the minimal lights I plan to put on. This stuff is addicting! :D My new tubing is due to come in Monday for my exhaust I am going to attempt to fab up to go under the frame. Oh, and I figured out the ghetto way to compress springs and remove the reflector covers thanks to a few tips on the xs650 forum. Here are some pics!

2011-09-09_15-57-44_553.jpg

Before

2011-09-09_15-35-21_342.jpg

Most dangerous rendition of a spring compressor. Learned this trick from the 650 guys. Never again...oh and one of my other bikes. the 1988 honda supermagna. fun stuff.

2011-09-09_16-18-32_615.jpg

Fresh install. looks much more clean...and the tail of my 1992 yamaha fj1200abs

Can't wait to keep going at it! This is probably the most fun I've had working on bikes!

Back