New Here : introduction to my 81 project

Face

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm new here, been lurking for a few weeks as I've been slowly tinkering away at my bike. It's been a great resource, so thank you everyone for allowing me to learn lots while i lurk.

I wanted to introduce myself, and share a few pics of my bike(s).

i've got an 81 xs400 and an 83 maxim 650. the 650 will sit as i work on the 400, but will be my next project.

I'm from Vancouver, BC. My name is Dan, and I like to party.

Here's my two bikes from about 7 years ago.
pic1.jpg

a few weeks ago, new bars, fenders and indicators removed
pic2.jpg

last week... i was waiting for some parts to arrive and thought i'd repaint the gas tank in the process. there was a lot more bondo under that paint than i was expecting, but now i've got more bondo practice under my belt after that.
pic3.jpg

carb boot, pod filters, heat wrap and muffler showed up, i wrapped the heat wrap down towards the muffler, i'll fix that and go from the muffler to the engine. slip on muffler is a pain, haven't figured out how to get the reducers to hold secure... the old exhaust was rusted on and i jumped the gun and cut the pipe to get it off (that probably has something to do with it) anyone have any pointers on these mufflers? should i get a custom reducer?
pic4.jpg

First coat of paint drying

pic5.jpg

paints dry, no polish or clear coat yet. i'll do another coat and think about whether or not i want some pinstriping or keep it one tone, i've seen some awesome pinstriping photos online and i'm mighty tempted.

pic6.jpeg

once i figure out how to secure the mufflers nice and tight, i will tune the carbs proper, install the indicators, cut down the fenders and install those, and i'll be able to enjoy the last month of summer riding. over winter my plans are to chop the frame and put a new seat in (Brat style cafe racer is my focus for it) and look at the different options of clearing out the space under the seat by relocating the battery, or getting a smaller lithium ion battery (though i've heard mixed things on those, so some feedback on those would be appreciated!)

Thanks for reading this far if you made it here!

Awesome job! :bike:
With those bars, did you have to shorten the front brake cable?
I have bars that are close to the same and I can't get it adjusted far enough for the front break to catch correctly.

Awesome job! :bike:
With those bars, did you have to shorten the front brake cable?
I have bars that are close to the same and I can't get it adjusted far enough for the front break to catch correctly.
Thanks! With these bars it took a bit of fiddling with all the cables, i was having some issues with them for a while but all it took was some adjustments and i was able to make all of them work without changing them to shorter cables. i thought for sure i was going to have to shorten them all, but these are all still the original cables.

Well dang! I thing my cable it just to stretched out. May have to buy a new one or try and get on made. Thanks for replying!!

Back