New IRC tires - first impressions

OliverB

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
Since I had my new IRC (Japanese) Durotour RS310 H series tires installed last week I have put about 100 miles on them. Beginning to get some first impressions as to handling. The tires that were on my bike were mismatched brands and models. I now have a set of matching front/rear directional tires. I don't really notice any difference in the firmness of the ride - the other tires were also H rated - but the handling is less twitchy at speed and cornering feels more positive. I don't really demand that much of the tires and am not into dragging the pegs when I corner - LOL. My next test will be on ridges caused by patches on the edges of the road which extend about 1/3 into the lane. These will throw any tire but some tires are affected worse by the ridges.

I am running tubeless, 100/90 front and 120/90 rear - that's up one width in front and just what my Yamaha service manual calls for on '80 & '81 years with tubeless rated mag rims. Have not ridden another XS400 with a 90/90 front tire so I can't really compare the difference. My son's '81 still has a 3:00 (Chinese) front so I will try it before he switches out to a new Dunlop 404 to match his rear tire. Got the tires last December at a sale price with a free S&H special promo for about $150, IIRC.

Hey Oliver,

Any pix yet? I'm shopping for tires and these are on my list, but would like to see them on an XS400. Thanks for your help...

Hey Oliver,

Any pix yet? I'm shopping for tires and these are on my list, but would like to see them on an XS400. Thanks for your help...

Glad to oblige:

photo.jpg

photo-2.jpg

I have about 200 miles on these tires now and am very pleased with them. Remember, the fronts are 1 size wider at 100/90x18 and the rear is the stock recommended size of 120/90x16 - as per my '80 manual.

Back