New issues

Taras

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I had some problems starting my bike before (another thread), to sum up I cleaned the carbs, new sparks, new petcock. The bike was running fine, I was riding for several hours one weekend without any problems.

So, back from a 2 week holiday, looking forward for a ride, and it doesn't start. Battery full, starter spins, but it doesnt start. I thought there might be some condensation in the tank so I emptied the tank, put in new fresh gas and still nothing.
Sprayed some starter gas in to the air box and it started instantly and then obviously died.
Checked the petcock - fuel is flowing fine.
Opened the fuel bowls - fuel was coming out.
Checked the sparks, they were dry.
So no fuel is reaching the chamber from the carb.
Dismantled the carb, checked the float, seemed ok, sprayed everything with compressed air and put it back together. Still Doesn't start. It turned around for 1 second but then died instantly. And this happened once during 2-3 minutes of starting.

I'm out of ideas, help ?

You have spark and it runs with starting fluid. Have you checked your fuel level in the bowl with a clear tube. Maybe your fuel level is too low and not enough vacuum to pull the fuel into the cylinders.

I always double check the levels visually. Setting only by measuring the float height doesn't allow for heavy floats or any other thing that may hang up the float needle.

5897322209_09e03a47d1_z.jpg

No I haven't checked the fuel level, so you mean that even if the float bowls contain gas the level might not be high enough for the jet to suck it in ? Strange that this would happen in two weeks when the bike was just still.

Yea, that's the part that doesn't fit. Something has had to change if it ran good then for some reason refused to start after just sitting. It's the only thing I could think of since you have spark, the petcock is releasing fuel and the bowls contain some gas and it fires up with starter fluid. I'm sure a guru will join in with some words of wisdom.

Back