New member/ '81 XS400

sebbeb

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been snooping around the forum for a while now but never got a chance to introduce myself. My name is Sébastien, I am an industrial maintenance mechanic and elevator mechanic by trade. I spent a lot of time as a teenager playing with gas engines and riding and fixing dirtbikes. I have no experience on motorcycles though, so I'll have a few questions along the way.

I recently acquired a 1981 XS400. It was started last in the mid 90s, I took it home, pulled the carbs out and cleaned them, put everything back together and it wouldn't start. I realized I forgot the little passage for the starter jet at the bottom of the bowls, cleaned those and now got the bike started. Pretty amazing for a bike that sat for nearly 20 years. I also did an oil change and took apart the right hand control as none of the switches/buttons in there worked due to corrosion.

So now it runs, but there is a lot more to do and I'm sure I'll have many questions along the way. And I'll also try to share the little I know.

Thanks for your help,
Seb

Back