New member from VA...

Nicholas

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I just got my '81 xs400 on the road and I am ready to ride. I only have my permit at the moment, but I could not help myself last weekend as I took it out on some back roads to get a real feel for the bike. I love how nimble this bike is.

I was originally going to do a more cafe style bike, but after realizing how many parts I had on hand, I just decided to get it going and enjoy it for the summer. Then next winter, maybe do some more customizing.

Overall, I am very happy with the end result thus far. It sounds great too. I sanded the tank down and put a few coats of clear coat on it to give it a natural look.

What do you guys think? Below you can see the before and after photo. Any xs riders in VA?

Attachments

• -3.jpg
    -3.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 236
  • -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 248
Looks good, just those grips are a bit odd. I would think about lowering the headlight brackets a bit next winter, but for now just keep it on the road !

Also a copper or rust type of color would work well with that clear tank.

Hi Willem. Thanks! Yea, I was originally going to order the headlight brackets that clamp on (the three holed ones?), but like I said, I had these on hand, and was to eager to get riding. I actually though about painting a copper/gold/rust looking racing stripe down the tank. I was going to put it offset with the gas cap.

Where in VA are you? I went to college in Lexington and spent many hours riding the back roads and Blue Ridge Parkway. Really miss that, the roads here in Florida are straight and flat for the most part.

And welcome, love the cleared tank!

Hi Docwits. Sorry for the late response. I am really looking forward to getting on the Blue Ridge Pkwy with my 400. How do they handle up there? I am in the Hampton Roads area...

Hi Docwits. Sorry for the late response. I am really looking forward to getting on the Blue Ridge Pkwy with my 400. How do they handle up there? I am in the Hampton Roads area...

I was on a Honda crotch rocket at the time, but I'm sure your bike will be even more fun up there! Good luck with the build

Haha! Yes it was Frwinks! I actually fixed that soon after I posted this. I was racking my brain as to why the speedo was not working. Then I realized it was spinning backwards and obviously the forks were backwards!

Back