New member here from SoCal (Ventura)

sly409

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey folks,

My name is Scott and I'm a new proud owner of a blue 1979 xs400. I purchased it yesterday (8/1/12) and went back with a trailer to pick it up today. Got a pretty good deal for it ($700) with clean title and claimed to have 9500miles on it. The bike seems to be running fine but needs the carbs cleaned for sure.

I joined this forum so in hopes that I can learn a thing or two about my bike. I plan on fixing it up to use as my daily rider for work and school and eventually turning it into a modern cafe racer after I do all the regular maintenance. I know the last time this thing was registered was back in mid 2009 so I'm guessing its just been sitting unused since then if not longer. I'm eager to learn so I'll take any advice you guys throw at me.

A little about me. I'm 30 years old, I work as a waiter and I'm going back to school to finish up my degree. I've never worked on bikes before but I've done a little work on cars. Oil changes, fluid changes in the transmission and brake lines etc. Oh and I've helped a buddy replace a radiator on his car before but again, nothing major. I bought this bike as a fun little side project. My last job involved working with airsoft guns and repairing gearboxes and such so I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but bikes are completely foreign to me at this point. I got my M1 about 5-6 years ago and just never got a bike. I guess i never really knew what I wanted and then my life got a little busy and I forgot about it. Now I'm working very close to home and my school is close also(5 and 15mins away) and I'm letting my fiance use my suv to goto work since her car broke down so I needed to find something cheap to get me here and there. I started looking on craigslist for cars but nothing good came up then I decided to check out the motorcycles and of the 3 ads I was interested in, the one for the xs400 was the only one that didnt fall through.

So yea, I just wanted to introduce myself. Cheers! Oh and I'm gonna upload some of the picks I saved from the cl ad for the bike. I'll upload more pics of it parked at home in the garage later tonite after I get them off my phone.

-Scott

Attachments

• xs400-1.jpg
    xs400-1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 88
  • xs400-2.jpg
    xs400-2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 97
  • xs400-3.jpg
    xs400-3.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 93
  • xs400-4.jpg
    xs400-4.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 85
  • xs400-5.jpg
    xs400-5.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 87
  • xs400-6.jpg
    xs400-6.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 82
And quick question for you guys. When I initially tried starting it up I had the clutch engaged and had it in neutral and it wouldnt start :confused:. I was not until I released the clutch that it started up almost immediately :eek:. In MSF class we were taught to engage the clutch as a safety just incase the bike happen to be in gear accidently.

I was using the kickstart to start up the bike since the electric starter was broken..literally missing the button. Is it normal to have to disengage the clutch in these older bikes to get it to start? Just wondering if this is a safely issue I should address immediately or if Im a-ok.

Thanks guys!

Back