New member intro, pics of my build and a tech ?

JohnnyCrash

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
First post guys so I would like to say im really happy to find this forum and pick up some good info on the xs 400.I recently picked up my 79 at a police impound auction for $150 "SCORE" it was a beater but had compression and all the major pieces there. BTW most cities have a public impound auction and there are some good deals to be had.I wasted no time tearing into her and was going for a brat tracker cafe thing " really just using what I had laying around" I think shes looking pretty good and is running but i have an electrical issue and could use some help. I bought the simplified wiring diagrahm off e-bay that i found the link for on this site.All is good except that when i hook up the rectifier to the battery it strts cookin and i mean HOT!. double checked everything and its not blowing the main fuse and nothing else is getting hot.I isolated the rectifier buy itself not wired into the rest of the harness and same thing. ? DO I HAVE A BAD RECTIFIER? I dont have a multi meter to do a bench test and wnt to make sure that it is faulty as they are kinda pricey and dont want to waste my $$$$. Anyway here are some pics of before and after

Attachments

• desk 022.jpg
    desk 022.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 157
  • yamaha xs 019.jpg
    yamaha xs 019.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 148
  • yamaha xs 020.jpg
    yamaha xs 020.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 152
  • yamaha xs 018.jpg
    yamaha xs 018.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 149
nice pinstriping did you do it?

got a few tins of 1-shot and some mack brushes in the shed haven't had a play for ages

Hey thanks RED RAT. Yeah that some of mine striping. I painted tank base red with some hardener and then gave her the 1-shot treatment. It might be too crazy for some but I like it. I go by striping name D-LUX in the dallas tx area. Dust off those brushes get out the phone book and practice practice practice. Lots of good pointers on YOU TUBE

Back