New Member New (to me) Bike

short1

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've been looking for either and xs400 or honda 350-360 for awhile now. After scouring craigslist for months, I found this 1981 xs400 specialII 60 miles away (all the deals seem to be at least an hour away!) Anyway drove out monday to look at it and trailered it home. He told me it last ran in 2013 but who knows. Pretty rough condition but exactly what i was looking for.
First order of business was to make sure the motor was ok, so tuesday after wiring up a momentary switch for the starter, draining the tank and adding some fresh gas, and dealing with the broken fuse box I hooked it up to some cables and tried to get it to pop off, with starter fluid i could get it to run for a few seconds after a few tries it actually stayed running for a minute, rough but it was a little victory for me!

Anyhow here's some pics!

When I brought it home

Day 2 after I got it to start it was time to remove some of the ugly

After hours of reading and watching videos online I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it up, got it to run last night, wouldn't idle without the choke pulled all the way out, went to adjust the floats today(set them to 33mm then read that they should be 27mm?) and realized the float bowl was dry on the 2nd carb, tore it apart again adjusted and here we are today, it actually idles and revs!! lol

Yes, I believe that is a lawnmower muffler haha Bike is ugly as sin, wife isn't fond of it, but I love it already:D
I've learned a ton from this site so far and there is alot i want to do to it. I am looking forward to sharing my progress with you guys.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 2015-07-06 15.23.32.jpg
    2015-07-06 15.23.32.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 2015-07-06 15.23.44.jpg
    2015-07-06 15.23.44.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 2015-07-10 12.56.18.jpg
    2015-07-10 12.56.18.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 63
I love the lawnmower muffler.

Try to attach pictures directly to your posts. Select manage attachments. Select the photos you want and hit upload once you're done.

Keep up the good work!

No problem. The bike actually doesn't look that bad. It should clean up nicely.

Can't trust the pics haha, almost every inch of this thing is either scratched, faded, rusted or dented lol

Back