kirknd4spd

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just introducing myself. I'm Kirk, and I just got a new project this morning, a 1980 XS400. I don't really know much about these bikes yet, more used to my V Star, but I'm looking forward to working on this bike. It doesn't run, but seems to have good compression when I kick it over, so I'm hoping to get it running soon, if the parts wont cost me too much. I'll get some pics up of it in a little bit.

Well, all I've accomplished so far is I cleaned the carbs, new plugs, new fuel line, and she won't fire up. Gotta make sure I'm getting spark. Will these bikes run with no battery? Im hoping it will, I don't want to have to buy a battery, don't ever plan on using the electric start.

Edit:

Never mind on the battery question, found my answer.

Hooked up a good battery, and she runs great! Im excited about this bike. Now I need a gas tank, new battery, air filters, and a clutch and clutch cable, plus a headlight and taillight, and it will be ready to ride. At least I know it runs now, feel a lot better about getting it.

welcome to the forum!

"if it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem"

+1 on getting parts from ebay

Speaking of props in the shot, when it comes to selecting a colour, I hope you'll go with the gas can and not the side cover.
Nothing quite like a red xs400 after all ...

Did my first little test ride around the yard today, she's doing ok. Still need air filters and lights before I take it on the road. I should probably re-jet the carbs too, gotta do some research on jet sizes for these bikes.

Back