New memeber intro

vfost

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a newbie just joined not too long ago after i was refered here from another forum called 607riders.com. I am very exited to have found this site and noticed that you guys want a little bit of an intro so i figured i would post up. I am 19, i live in upstate new york and last summer i bought a 1980 xs400 special as my first bike for $600. I love this bike for my first bike because it is so small and easy to handle although i have been riding since i was 16 i still think a small starter bike was a good decision. The only problem i had with the bike was it was leaking oil right onto the chain. Although this made for a little less maintanence it was getting all over the rear wheel and everything else for that matter. So this winter i tore the engine down and put a comple gaskit kit in it and i had a blast! So since this is getting so long i will end it at that haha thanks for putting together such a great resource for us!!:thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum vfost! Nice to get new members and thanks for the intro, I just bought my first bike which happens to be a 81 xs400. I have already found a lot of useful information about our bikes so browse around or just simply ask if you have any questions.

welcome vfost,i myself r from upstate ny.gotta love this snow lol

Oh ya haha gotta love all this snow. That warm spell a couple weeks ago almost had me to the point where i dared to take my bike out for a test run after that rebuild. But i chickened out lol

ya i hear ya there,here is a pic of my xs400... xs400 166.jpg

vfost, Welcome....

When you rebuilt the engine, did you have any problems finding new rings? Or did you not take the pistons out of the bores?

welcome Vfost and a great intro man :thumbsup:

keeps us posted on how your doing and ask any questions, no such thing as a dumbass one on here!

Thanks for the welcomes guys!! its nice to be on a forum where people dont critisize everything you say. (i am on a couple other forums for cars and what not and they are BRUTAL)

@travis- i did take the pistons out of the bores, and no i didnt have any new rings. When i got them out everything looked so good and so clean that i just used the old ones again i know mabye not the best idea but it seems to be working!

Back