New mufflers

hospadar

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Thinking about putting some new mufflers on my new 1980 xs400 because:

a) The originals are getting a little rusty and beat up, looks like some minor patching by the PO
b) The right-hand muffler sounds like it has some debris in it (maybe a little rock or rusted bit of baffle?) that rattles around annoyingly.
c) I need something fun to do!

Some notes:
- The headers appear to be (at least externally) in good shape
- I don't really care for super loud pipes, so I'd prefer if the noise was either roughly the same, or quieter than stock. My budget is low though, so I'm flexible.
- If I could find pipes that didn't require carb adjustment, that would be ideal.
- Minimum cost is critical. This bike is new to me and I have no idea how much longer it's going to last (although it seems fine in general), so I really don't want to spend more than $100 or so on mufflers

Any suggestions for what mufflers to use, how to install, etc? I'm under the impression that I need to chop the stock mufflers off the headers, where exactly should I cut?

I realize that on the low budget my options are limited (maybe emgo shorties, maybe emgo dunstalls?)

I just put these from Dime City Cycles on my 78. I did rejet but only because I put pod filters on too.

I like them. Not real loud. Looks stock. I think it was right around 100 after shipping.

As far as removing old ones, I just loosened bolt/clamp where they meet and take the mount off (on mine connected to rear foot pegs). New ones slide on and clamp down. I don't think you should have to cut anything. I could be wrong.

And if you do shorties you will probably have to rejet.

I'm under the impression that I need to chop the stock mufflers off the headers, where exactly should I cut? ...
When cutting, just remember the old joke: "I've cut this thing 3 times and it's still too short!". Measure twice, cut once - unless you are in doubt and make the first cut long on purpose, so you can measure a 3rd time. :wink2:

Would the brand with the replaceable muffler/diffuser not be the best option, price being equal?

When cutting, just remember the old joke: "I've cut this thing 3 times and it's still too short!". Measure twice, cut once - unless you are in doubt and make the first cut long on purpose, so you can measure a 3rd time. :wink2:

Would the brand with the replaceable muffler/diffuser not be the best option, price being equal?

Yeah, I took a brief gander at the exhaust and it looks welded on in my case (i.e. needs to be cut). If I cut, I'll definitely be cutting as close the the start of the flare as possible, and then trim down as needed (probably not needed).

Cost being equal, I'd of course prefer the replaceable baffles. If it's going to run me more, or I don't like the look, then meh.

Is it a reasonably safe assumption that mufflers of a similar size will not require re-jetting? (and how important is re-jetting when changing exhaust anyways?)

I used Emgo shorty muffler from Niche Cycle, item # 80-84052. Sound and perform about stock, much lighter. No jetting changes.
Leo

My stock mufflers on my '80 were welded on, but they were slid on the end of the headers and then welded, I took a dremel with a cutting wheel, several cutting wheels, and went back just right after the weld and cut it just deep enough to see it go through the muffler, then took off the muffler and grinded down the weld on the end of the header.

Edit: oops, just saw the date, probly a little late. Oh well...

Back