New old guy with an '82 Maxim

bike geezer

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking a while and soaking up the good info here, thought it was about time I introduced myself. Just recently acquired an '82 XS400J and since it really just needed a good cleaning and adjustment of course I tore it completely down to bob it. :) I've had a bunch of bikes over the years but this is my first XS400 and the first bobber, in the past I've done stock restos or mild customs.

Don't have a lot of photos or progress to share, so far I've just torn it completely down and am starting in on cleaning everything thoroughly. The plan so far is to "restyle" the bike, leaving all the mechanicals and the running gear stock. This will be Mrs. Bike Geezer's ride so I want to leave the handling characteristics undisturbed. And keep the stock ride, too ... Momma don't go for hardtails. I'm thinking that I should be able to achieve a pretty sweet looking ride without changing the frame / wheel relationships, thanks in part to the monoshock setup. Planning on mounting the rear fender to the swingarm so I can elimate the unsightly gap of the stock bikes, I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this already.

This thing has pretty good lines with all that crud behind / under the seat gone, the stock tank has nice rake back and I think it will look good with a paint scheme that takes advantage of its lines. Once you get everything off the frame, it almost has a label that says "cut here for bobber" at the rear point of the triangle.

Here's a shot of what I'm starting with, I'll post progress photos as I go forward.

Nice to meet you all,

Tim

Attachments

• xs400 before.jpg
    xs400 before.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 349
Welcome to the forum! I've also thought about moving the rear fender, and planned on using the wheel spacer and the brake stabilizer arm bolt as two mounting points. I wanted to use 1/4" aluminum between the fender and the mounting points, but I'd want a third point mounting point before I'd be happy with it.

Those have 4 valves per piston? weird two types of motors for 82... maxim and heritage

Does mine have a pickup coil in the stator or only older points systems have those?

Those have 4 valves per piston? weird two types of motors for 82... maxim and heritage
A good question - one which this old guy with a Maxim has been asking. Have read the Seca Service manual for clues and nowhere could I find it actually saying how many. There's probably a photo showing them, but I am a novice to internals and wouldn't know what to count.
These sites say there are 2 valves per cylinder for the DOHC 38/45(?) hp engine: http://www.xsrider.com/xsrider/bikes/seca400.html / http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xs_400_dohc_1983.php
And this site says there are 4 valves per cylinder: http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xj400_maxim.htm
I guess one can't believe everything one reads on the internet.

The 82 maxim is 2 valves per cylinder according to the diagrams on cmsnl.com

The number of lobes on the cams and the recesses in the piston crowns are a dead giveaway.

Check out my mod thread for an idea of what the bobber would look like (with clip ons - is that still a bobber?)

2 valves per cylinder, when I was in my engine last.

They are indeed 2 valves per cylinder. Unless when adjusting said valves half of them decided to cloak themselves :p Each cam controls 2 valves, both cylinder's intake or both cylinder's exhaust. They are direct contact(IE the cam pushes the shim and valve itself), and while being a total bitch to adjust sometimes is a really great and reliable system.

Well, in the year that has elapsed since I started this thread, my plans have changed dramatically and I find myself in the position of not being able to continue with this project. I could put the bike back together and sell it on craigslist but I don't have the time and now need to get ready for a move. I could put it on craiglist as is and get something for it but I'm not really interested in dealing with that.

So ... if any of you guys are in my area (Snohomish county WA) and are interested in loading this up and taking it home, let me know. First one to get here gets it. Free.

It was an operating bike when I took it apart, everything is apart but its all in one place and neatly organized, not scattered all over the shop. I haven't done anything but disassemble it, the frame is untouched and everything is here including title, license plate and some new gaskets I gathered. You could put it back together and have a running bike or use it as a project start or for parts.

Reply with a post here with either your email address or phone number and I'll get in touch right away. I'll give it a week here and if no one wants it then it goes on craigslist and I'm sure some one will snap it up, I wanted to give you guys first shot at it.

Thanks,

Tim

I'm very interested but would have to get one of my friends with a truck in on it. Not sure how fast I could arrange it though. Think it could be fit in the back of a Taurus wagon all disassembled like it is?

Just checked; if I can fit it in a Taurus wagon I am all over it. I am Mark at (360) 532-3349. Can come as soon as tonight but prefer at least to wait till tomorrow since it won't be till later evening I have money for gas.

Well looks like bike geezer gave me a call and I should pick up Maxim 400 #2 tomorrow! So excited to have two in the stable! Gonna come up with one very fine looking bike and one rat bike, both runners!

Well looks like bike geezer gave me a call and I should pick up Maxim 400 #2 tomorrow! So excited to have two in the stable! Gonna come up with one very fine looking bike and one rat bike, both runners!
You are lucky to live so close in WA.
Don't worry about not having the room. If the back seat folds down, it will all go into a Taurus wagon with room to spare.
Take some corrugated boxes you can break down so the heavy bits will slide in and out easier. It's amazing how heavy they are when you are trying to get them into and out of the back of a wagon that you can't stand up in :wink2:
If I were you, I would also drain the crankcase oil out of it first - if "Geezer" hasn't done it already. Post some pics of the operation if you aren't too excited to remember. Have fun!

Mark you SUCK!:mad: Nah, good snag. If I would have checked in a bit earlier I'd be all over it as well. Plus I'm sure the lady wouldn't be too happy with me if I came home with another bike in pieces...:D

Do you want to sell those two into ones? Or maybe make a trade for a set of original pipes?

Back