New Owner of a 1982 Maxim

sageone

XS400 Member
Reaction score
My father in-law gave me this bike. It hasn't been ridden or started in several years. The carbs are gummed up really bad. The inside of the tank is rust-free though. Everything is generally corroded and rusted. Battery is bad of course. Here are some pics:

I've got the same year/model, but yours looks like it's in better condition. I'm just getting started restoring mine, but I have gotten it running (very roughly, but running).

There are very helpful people on this site, you should be able to get all the advice you need here to get her running good.

I've.....uh......never seen an XS400 of any type with ....uh.....such a.....um......abundant fairing......

- looks like a clean bike.

I've got the same year/model, but yours looks like it's in better condition. I'm just getting started restoring mine, but I have gotten it running (very roughly, but running).

There are very helpful people on this site, you should be able to get all the advice you need here to get her running good.

Were your carbs gummed up? How did you clean them? Mine are a mess inside. I am thinking about boiling them in lemon juice. I really don't want to disassemble and replace orings, etc.

I boiled the carbs for 20 minutes in a 6:1 mixture of water and lemon juice. I had higher expectations for the results, but it definitely loosened up the crud and varnish. I boiled them outside on my grill. This conconction creates one of the most offensive smells, enough to make you gag. I hit them again with a brush and degreaser. Pulled all of the jets and soaked them in carb cleaner. Ordered an Oring kit from cycleorings.com. Will try to post pics later.

The best results for carb cleaning are ultrasonic if you still find they need more cleaning see if there is someone in your area thats offering the service. I think boiling will do a number on the butterfly valve seals.

Good Luck on your resto. I'm about six months into my 1978 and having fun.

Shaun

I didn't want to leave them in the boiling solution too long. I have heard some horror stories. They actually look decent now. We'll see. I am anxious to see if this Mo'Fo' will fire up. I'm still not sure if I'll leave it stock or go the Bobber or Tracker route. I acquired a 72 CB/CL 450 at the same time. It is in even worse shape. Maybe I'll post up a few pics of it.

This is probably the nicest 400 Maxim that I have ever seen. Notice I said, "Maxim", the 400 with the mono-shock set-up. This particular set-up can be a challenge to mod. Dude did an awesome job. Found it on Adventure Rider.com.

Back