New Project - XS400 Hardtail

tgp---

XS400 Member
Reaction score
New to the site. I thought I would post the start to my new project an xs400.

Picked up a basket case (w/title) and barn bike (w/out title) cheap.
Thought I would try my hand at a bike build (its been over 30 years since I've owned a bike. A chopped and raked Honda 450 backin the late 70's, I did not build it). I've attached my idea for my frame. I'm searching for a qualified person to weld it up for me (hopefully within my budget).

More posts to follow as I move along. But be advised this will most likely be a long project for me. My goal is to finish it by the end of 2012.

Here's my plan for the frame, hope to get some photos of the bikes up soon. I know how forum guys like pictures.
IMG_0001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
the DOM size to sleeve the back bones 1 3/4" to save you some measuring,
and i didnt guesset my rear cross members, might look a bit ugly, unless you weigh alot. just lay some nice welds in there and youll be fine. check fubars build thread

the DOM size to sleeve the back bones 1 3/4" to save you some measuring, and i didnt guesset my rear cross members

Thanks FUBAR. 2 follow up questions .

1.) Is that 1 3/4" the OD on the existing backbone? may need to go the insert and same size backbone route, the back bone may end up looking too fat.

2.)and, when you say "gusset the the rear cross members" I assume you mean on the lower tubes of the hardtail in my drawing. I wasn't sure if they were needed or not. Seemed like a good place to have them at the time. What do people mount there battery box to then ??

I'll search for your build thread. Thanks again

Ya the stock backbones 1.75 I chopped mine to about a 4 " stub slid the new dom over and plug welded and welded up around the neck. It looks good its not fat and it fits my sporty tank tunnel nicely. As for the cross members I was talking about the horizontal tubes spanning between the frame in front of the rear tire, thy don't need those squareish guessets. Mount the batter box to the bottom cross member tube by welding or some bolts.

check out my build thread, i hardtailed mine, wish i woulda done the single backbone conversion tho. :'( maybe next year. if you got any questions or anything, let my know ill try to help

as far as gussets go, i gusseted my lowers where they met up to the stock engine cradle. not too hard to do, and gives you a little extra strength and ease of mind. lol

. if you got any questions or anything, let my know ill try to help, as far as gussets go, I gusseted my lowers where they met up to the stock engine cradle. not too hard to do, and gives you a little extra strength and ease of mind. lol

Thanks volcomskater77. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions once I get a chance to dig into it. Been busy w/ work and remodling the bathroom so have not had much time to do anything to the bike.

I thought the back bone was 1-1/4"? I swear that's what mine is. I also don't have that upper rear engine mount. Mine's an '81 special II.

I had a little time today between coats of Drywall Joint Compound, and took a look at what I had to work w/ on the project. Thought the forum would like a couple photo's.

Put the swing arm/tire on the frame to get visual on what I need to do. When you look at the second photo, not sure you will be able to see it, but, the center tube is off. This does not line up. When it comes down to doing a single backbone this is going to be a problem. I may need to re-think the single backbone idea.

The bike is a 1980 xs400 w/ title, Basket Case, 7500 miles on engine, in parts (not sure what missing yet) , P.O. had already started cutting on the frame (bummer). Price $50
100_2183.jpg
[/IMG]
100_2184.jpg

100_2185.jpg

Back to sanding joint compound.

Last edited:
@ travis - yea mines an 81 special too :laugh: maybe with all the paint stripped off of it, my caliper read 1.75" .. pretty sure thats what I.D DOM i bought when i sleeved it any way and she fit like a glove.

bike looks good start choppin er up then you really cant turn back :bike:

i just watched the movie worlds fastest indian.. good story and maybe you;ll get some inspiration out of it. i did, now to wire my bike! :popcorn:

Back