New Rider and First Bike... Will need lots of advice with future modifications. lol

dwhite0729

New Rider
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm Daniel from Mississippi. I picked up my first bike at the beginning of the year... 1981 XS400 Special. I've always wanted a bike, but never had the extra cash to get into it. I picked up this gem for $1200 off craigslist. The previous owner had completely gone through this bike's engine, trans, new wiring, new rubber, and new paint. I've made a few mods to it, wanting to go for a blend of a cafe racer and a brat style bike. I shaved the seat and recovered in brown, new clubman handlebars, matte finish on the tank, stripped the airbox covers and chain guard, new low profile turn signals, new LED taillight with turns, and new halogen headlight with LED turns and headlight visor... more to come. let me know what ya'll think.

Attachments

• IMG_4789.jpg
    IMG_4789.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3981.JPG
    IMG_3981.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4217.jpg
    IMG_4217.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4785.jpg
    IMG_4785.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 100
Welcome to the forum - looks like you got yourself a pretty tight ride there!

Do you have any history with customization? From what I can tell you did a great job on the seat.

Also, what do you have for headlight/lens/bucket/visor I like it!

Hey thanks! I really don't have any professional experience with mods, just some hands on experience with old cars. lol. After watching a few YouTube videos and a turkey carving knife later, I carved the seat down significantly (still using the original seat pan) and recovered with brown vinyl from a local fabric store.

As far as the headlight - I kept the stock bucket and cut the adjustment out of the chrome headlight ring in order to fit a 7" headlight bulb. Just a $50 headlight from ebay. :wink2:

I picked up the visor from ebay as well. $12. Came together pretty good though.

Got a better pic of the seat before and after.

And didn't mention the black mufflers and titanium pipe wrap.

Attachments

• IMG_4020.jpg
    IMG_4020.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Back