NEW! Stator diagnosis tests are all fine....but.......

Maybe you can run that red wire to positive batt... Not 100% sure... and cut wire inhalf and run to switch. so no batt drain when shut off

Ask others if safe I dont to mess your bike up.

Just went out and traced wires..turned key on and tested red lead into rectifier..12V..hmm getting juice..Also one GIAN clue that may help the wise..My headlight stopped working when this issue started...ALL wiring is stock other than an in-line fuse I put in place of the main that the terminal/stays broke off on 5 yrs ago..tested all fuses//all are conducting current.:wtf:

Red wire coming "out" of reflector.

I changed my fuse box just to be safe on my xs400...

Anyways good luck... dont forget about that red wire

okay, the third pic you posted shows what you need.

With the bike running, add voltage to the dark bluish green wire WITH THE FIBROUS FABRIC COVERING on the socket thru the back. Leave the socket connected so you reach in along the wire with a piece of paperclip and try to touch the brass. You'll see bright white spark and the field coil will be powered and your volts will go up.

Do that and you'll have the magnetic force in your stator to make a feeler gauge stick to the case. Report back to us when you've done it.

A lot of those issues in that thread would have been solved with solder instead of crimp connectors. I learned the hard way that you have to solder.

Good luck.

okay, the third pic you posted shows what you need.

With the bike running, add voltage to the dark bluish green wire WITH THE FIBROUS FABRIC COVERING on the socket thru the back. Leave the socket connected so you reach in along the wire with a piece of paperclip and try to touch the brass. You'll see bright white spark and the field coil will be powered and your volts will go up.

Do that and you'll have the magnetic force in your stator to make a feeler gauge stick to the case. Report back to us when you've done it.

Drew, executed today and got no response from my field coil..notta, zilch.. Im still puzzled as to why when 12V is put to the grn wire it doesnt come to life as it passed the resistance tests:( Is there any corellation to my headlight just quitting? I tested that as well, bulb and hand control working fine?

I'd say make sure the bulb and its circuit wiring are okay.

After that I'd look into taking out your stator and field coil and inspecting them. They've been damaged on a few bikes recently, and we tend to do that absolutely last since it's rare. Take em out and look for physical damage. Check my write up removal.

Drewcifer

I tested the HL bulb, both hi/low passed, hand control passed as well..Can the field coil pass a resistance test yet be damaged, I had removed the cover with it still inside and the wires all looked fine, Whats the easiest way to "ring" them out aka test for continuity without removing too much sheilding or causing a short by stabbing the wires with my testor probe?

I tested the HL bulb, both hi/low passed, hand control passed as well..Can the field coil pass a resistance test yet be damaged, I had removed the cover with it still inside and the wires all looked fine, Whats the easiest way to "ring" them out aka test for continuity without removing too much sheilding or causing a short by stabbing the wires with my testor probe?

will how I tested my field coil was put voltmeter on dc volts and connected to battery.
I used good charged battery and started the bike, with bike running I unplugged the
connecter to field coil gave it power and ground straight from battery, on my bike
1981 sx400 I did power to green wire and ground the black wire @ this point my bike did start charging. be sure stator three white wires that that connecter is still plugged in. Be worth a shot and see what happens, hope this helps.
oh and on the head light my bike has a relay kinda under and behind the battery box and on mine was missing when I bought the bike someone had a jumper wire in the connecter may be worth looking into...

Last edited:
Holy crap!...got charge, headlight back after trying willies suggestion!! So...that must mean the ground is faulted someqhere within the wiring eh?

This is what I love about forums. Experience goes to a center and everyone can get at it. Nice work willieboy!

Amazing that 3 of us are all in the same boat, I will continue to post on willes thread as we are all collectively in need of a root cause..Im thinking we've lost ground somewhere...just gotta learn that wiring diagram...

I also wanted to thank you for all of your help Drew, you def. know your stuff and everything you asked was legit and help me ELIMINATE potential issues and at the same time educated me..Thanks again my friend!

Holy crap!...got charge, headlight back after trying willies suggestion!! So...that must mean the ground is faulted someqhere within the wiring eh?

Awesome, This means your stator and field coil is working! I am not sure on your bike if the regulator controls the ground or positive to the field coil. But looks like your making headway. On my bike the reg. controls ground side. I may be wrong but I thought 1979 was positive controlled, but if you need more help just give a holler.
:bike:

Last edited:
Back