New to the Forum; 1982 Yamaha Seca 400

mikemanray

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum, but not the XS400! I bought my 1982 XS400RJ back in 2006; it was my first motorcycle, and I bought it when I was 20.

It's all stock, with only 7,000 miles; I got it for $600. It had a problem with the left cylinder running extremely rich, and fouling plugs in about 10 minutes. I never figured it out and pretty much just stopped riding it after a few hundred miles; It was a pain to have to ride with a bunch of spare plugs and replace it every so often (cruising on the highway was ok, but idling for any amount of time killed it).

However, I'm now older and wiser, and tore the carbs apart this past weekend. Found that the right cylinder carb had two gaskets on the float bowl...and the left one had none. :banghead: I fixed it; and now it runs perfect! I'm really glad I was able to resurrect this old bike.

Anyway, I'm also excited that there's now a forum for these bikes, and I'll be sure to use it in the future!

Thanks,

-Mike

That has to be the silliest reason for a carb not working that I've ever heard. Awesome it was so easily fixed. Hope you have many happy miles on your bike!

You know what's funny about that is, years ago I had a 1982 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC, and I tried to forgo the side crankcase cover gasket after replacing the clutch plates, and just go with gasket goop. Turns out the clearance tolerances make it such that just a thin paper gasket made my shifter lever stick and would not self return because the other end of the shaft rubbed the inside of the case cover. Had to order the gasket and wait for it to arrive to ride again!

Code:
However, I'm now older and wiser, and tore the carbs apart this past weekend. Found that the right cylinder carb had two gaskets on the float bowl...and the left one had none.
I thought i was the only person that did that:laugh:

Back