New to the game...

TORSH

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Cool site. Got a 79 xs400 about 14 years ago for $50. Didn’t (doesn’t) run, guy’s son stripped spark plug threads and left it. He wanted it gone. Thought I’d have a fun project. However, my first human project had just been born. Now, two more human projects, 14 years, and a quarantine later, starting to work on it. Looking for a site/place to get carb rebuild kit. Any advice on spark plug problem very welcome. Looking to go in a street tracker type resurrection, nothing crazy though. Just different tires, handlebars, turn signals, brake light/plate holder, and mufflers. Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
DB235C40-C1E3-4CC4-84D3-C9ABDB712D6B.jpeg

I've heard a lot of people have luck with the helicoils. Supposedly they work wonders, and should do fine for a spark plug. You may want a kit anyway to replace any small screw threads you inevitably strip out. :p good luck on your project!

Thank you! Had great success just using a thread chaser. However, I took the cam shaft cover off to have better access and now I’m having a problem putting it back on. It does not seem to want to fall back into place. Just slightly off, or meeting some resistance. I’m hesitant to try and tighten down in diagonal pattern to see if it will fall into place. I don’t want to make anything worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! Had great success just using a thread chaser. However, I took the cam shaft cover off to have better access and now I’m having a problem putting it back on. It does not seem to want to fall back into place. Just slightly off, or meeting some resistance. I’m hesitant to try and tighten down in diagonal pattern to see if it will fall into place. I don’t want to make anything worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Not experienced with these bikes but what I do is, if you have any, grab some longer bolts. Something twice the length would be good. Put those in instead, this will let you line up the bolt holes, and you can kind of shift the cover without worrying about torquing it into place.

In my experience that works most of the time, and if it doesn't something's wrong. If something's wrong, that usually means trying to trace what I did wrong and fixing whatever it may be.

Good luck!

Welcome. Heli-coil works just fine and many argue that the Heli-coil makes for a stronger thread anyways. You can also find a good used head to replace. You can replace the cylinder head with the engine still inside the frame. At least if you buy a good used head youll be able to lap the valves and replace valve stem seals and have that doen before you open your engine.. Most of the time it is helpful to lap the valves to get a better seal. Head gaskets may develop slow oil leaks over time too. Either way doesnt matter, your choice. I would probably have a professional do the Heli-coil if I went that way, Im more of a "buy another part now and fix the broken part later" kind of person.

Theres some mild suspension upgrades available such as bronze swing arm bushings and tapered neck bearings. Its probably best to stay at the stock height. Front fork springs can be upgraded with Progressive, they had 2 spring rates available last time I checked.

The camshaft cover will seat unevenly until you tighten it. This is because some of the cam lobes will be opening the the valves and youll be fighting the valve springs.Tighten the bolts slowly and evenly to prevent more strain. There is no cam cover gasket, so that mating surface needs to be very clean and dry before you apply your YamaBond/gasket maker.

Rebuild kits, youll be able to get most of what you need through OEM part suppliers.

I use Partzilla to reference part numbers and sometimes they will carry the part I need. Or I can use the part number to search other places. Most of the XS360/400 is compatible except for some engine stuff. The classifieds here is a good source for used parts, then theres EBay of course.

Last edited:
Thanks! (Curious side question; New Haven, CT.? I grew up in Guilford.) That second opinion on slow tightening technique was what I was looking for. Thanks! Had success with thread chaser for plug issue. All other info is great too. Good for future (paychecks) projects. Really appreciate it, thanks again!

Back