new tracker on the block

frwinks

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
hello XS'ers...
My name is Raff and I'm quickly becoming an XS addict:D... I've been lurking around for just over a week after picking up a 1982 Heritage Special as my first bike. As with pretty much everything else I touch, I had start researching modding it and that's when I found y'all. Working with a tight budget and being in the middle of building a house, this project is limited to "while she's not looking" opportunites that don't come around too often...:D
Also, I'm too stoked to actually ride the bike and don't want to spend the next 6 months building it. I decided to turn it into a fun little runner with both streets and dirt roads in mind. Living in the boonies and not being the "coffe meet" type, XS based trackers seem like a perfect fit. It'll allow me to explore more of the country side and keep me out of the parking lots:bike:.....

Onto da good stuff...

The day it all began ( don't mind the mess.. everything just kinda got shoved to the side to make room for the bike:laugh:)
033-1.jpg

I started with the little stuff while I wait for the rear fender/seat from First Klass Glass...

new ride height using 14.5" shocks
008.jpg

relocated head light
0032.jpg

battery box and relocated relays
026.jpg

In order to fit a 130/90 16 dual sport tire on the back, I'll have to relocate the brake torque arm, either shorten it and run a stubby or keep it long and offset it..next on the list (while she's not looking of course:D )

headlight looks cool like that, welcome to ze forum!

why does it look like that right rear passenger peg bracket is in the way of the swingarm?

thanks gents...glad to have found this great site:thumbsup:

it's prolly just the pic angle, the swing arm clears the rear peg bracket, which I'll most likely hack off anyways:D...the Missus is not really diggin' the whole bike thing:bike::wtf:

welcome to the forum. when I raised the rear on my tracker, it is very close to the rear passenger mounts. i cut one off anyway and the other is a mount for the exhaust!

Love the bike, I just got mine about a month ago. Same thing, Black 82 Heritage Special but with spoked wheels. Im afraid to touch mine but maybe your thread will inspire me.

i like your idea to. welcome to the site!!! these guy's are awsome, more idea's than you can apply to three bike's lol.. i have always wanted to build a smaller twin like this and use enduro tires and raise the fenders. build some case guards and put on some bark busters, that would look sweet!

k, little bit of an update since my fender and seat came in on Friday from First Klass Glass:thumbsup:

we bent up the rear hoop yesterday, got the tight radius of the fender ok, all was going fine until I realized the tube could use another 16" per side to reach the cross tube under the tank:doh:...oh well, good warm up on the bender which I haven't used since I built my rockbuggy about 6 years ago:D
The existing frame is about 1" too wide for the fender, so the rear uprights will need some attention as well.
Also got the new mx bars on, Kymco levers and MC mounted up and new brake stay arm fabbed up. Slow, but steady:bike:

the new frame will only be 1" higher than the stock rails, putting the seat a lil' lower than this pic
P1000565.jpg

P1000562.jpg

P1000560.jpg

Last edited:
I like how it cleaned up the look...thinking of relocating the battery box as well..lol
organic building at it's finest :laugh:

^ thats how its done :)

i spent lots of time building my battery box and headlight, now im thinking about ditching both...oh well

thanks and good eye.. the front one will get three holes, the casting marks on the wheels make it way to easy.. lol
I'm leaving the wheels/fork/brakes swap for version 2.0, once I have more time to spend in the barn... for now this has to be quick and dirty...Ontario is finally thawing out:laugh:

oh yea I forgot, you'll need to extend the side stand as it will be too high for the ground. I modified an XT500 one!

Nice Man This Bike is going to rock offroad. Are you going to do an suspension work? This is a clean looking bike I'm glad someone who knows how to customise one this awesome got it. Congrats on the build man.

Back