new tracker on the block

thought I'd bring this up from the archives..had some time last night to start putting things back after painting the frame last week...

003.jpg

I was told this needed airflow:D
005-1.jpg

it all fits afterall...still have to lighten up the harness a lil' but for now this will do...
012-1.jpg

da chunkies
023-1.jpg

finally sittin' all on its own again...
032-2.jpg

029-1.jpg

Nice bro! I'd say you hit it on the head - I dig the "look" - especially in the black and white photo! Great job!

thanks gents...this thing should be wrapped up and on the road soon:bike:

I found a 7" H4 headlight in a guys barn while picking up some parts with my buddy

009.jpg

bloody 'ell that leans over.

I got an XT side stand for mine and trimmed the bottom end off and welded the old foot on. looks OEM but its longer to suit the bike!

SHE'S ALIVE:bike: What a great feelin', I should've built one years ago... :D
Other than a very sensitive throttle, 1200rpm to 2000rpm with what feels like nothing in between:yikes: and rear shocks built for 1800cc bikes with tow packages:yikes: she ran like a top...after warming her up and myself to her...we did the ton and came home:bike::D
I'm hoping the carb sync will help the sensitive throttle as I already have enough slack in the cable and she purrs like a kitten on the open rd.
P1000861.jpg

brill! that sounds soooo good!

now we want a wheelie past the camera next :D or at least a full on slide

Great looking bike and it's actually on the dirt!!! Great job and get that rear hanging out once you get over the newness!!!Enjoy those roads, I have to go hours away to find riding like that!!!

thanks gents
I tried the stock headers only but it was way too loud. My buddy cut up a couple of SS mandrels and tig'ed up a 2in 1 system fer me with an Emgo reverse cone shorty. Still a lil' loud IMO, but I'll get used to it:D
I managed to find a complete rear end from a xs500 for dirt cheap, just have to chop it, extend it 3"-4", clean up the 18" disc wheel and let it all hang out back there:D
Gonna try to keep as much XS based parts on this bike as possible :bike:

took the bike to work today.. my 1hr commute turned into 2hr scenic ride through some of the "must ride" spots just north of Toronto:D A "'lil" late for work today, but with a huge smile on my face:D
The carbs NEED syncing bad..I think I narrowed down the twitchy throttle issue to one of the carbs opening up before the other:banghead: I can hear one butterfly "shutting closed" before the other upon a snappy release of the throttle (with the bike off of course).
Other than that, the bike seems to have gobs of torquey power, perfect for the twisties around the hills. The tires seem to work well for what they are, a smooth rumble at slow speed which completely smooths out in higher gears:bike:
The tracker stance with mid controls is getting nuked as soon as I have some time to fab up rear sets. I'm sure the low seat and mid controls are fine for a few laps or a trip to starbucks, but completely suck on a longer ride.

Attachments

• P1000877 (Large).JPG
    P1000877 (Large).JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 263
after over a month in the barn, the monster is back on the road:bike:
Turned out the starter cable rubber boot was worn through, grounding out on the case, I guess causing things to blow up on me:shrug: After replacing the RR (still getting a weak output from the new used unit), and the ignition unit and both coils, I was finally able to go for a rip on the weekend:bike: Super stoked... the thought of her sitting in the barn rusting away was killing me:D

030-2.jpg

033-3.jpg

I got the chrysler regulator from Napa today, hopefully it fixes the low output, currently sitting at 13.7V @ 3000 (or close to it)

Got my TW40 in today and waiting for the kenda sometime this week. Can't wait to get it all together! Parts at the powdercoater and paint shop.. It's going to be like Christmas! Bike looks great man, I bet it was killing you to let it sit!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but how did you fare putting the aftermarket regulator on the bike (xs400, right?)

I'm trying to do the same for an xs 360 from 76. I'm having trouble finding data on the swap.

Back