New XS ready for some lovin

MikeK

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post so I'll make it quick and get to the good stuff.

I was lucky enough this weekend to have a friend clean out his garage and hand over a 1980 XS 400 for the low price of free. Has a title, and was running before he drained the fluids and let it sat for a couple years. Sounds like the big issue was getting the carbs adjusted after putting a new exhaust on it.

I have this bike now sitting in my garage with no seat, the rear chopped off, and many of the actual parts in a cooler. Where do I start? Should I put oil and gas in and see if it runs? I'm not new to motorcycles as my previous two were ducati's and I'm solid with a wrench and welder.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi mike, and welcome :)

Yea I'd say put some oil and fuel in, and a new battery and see what she does. Use the new xs400 how-to to get some info on what else to do.

If you wanna be a bit more sure she will run, get those carbs off first and clean them thoroughly. Use the links in the linked thread. The carbs are the most delicate parts on these bikes, and cause 99% of the problems. But if they're clean and you keep them that way (by installing a fuel filter), there's no reason the bike shouldn't function as well as a new one.

Have fun and good luck!

+1 on pics

9187891936_b997d9de93.jpg

9185092877_2e275a1f52.jpg

Here ya go guys. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at a decent amount of work.

One of the exhaust bolts broke in the block. Luckily I have an extractor so that should come right out. If not I'm gonna look into swapping the cylinders out for a larger bore and go from there. Coming from a Ducati 749 with a big bore kit I have a little less power here. ha ha

So far the list is as follows.

1. Put oil and gas in and see how it runs. Probably clean the carbs first.

2. Check the brakes and get them functioning.

3. Ride it for a bit to make sure it's reliable.

4. start the mods. I was thinking front fork swap to something possibly adjustable and absolutely has two discs.

5. Maybe a gas tank swap and seat to go with.

Who knows though. I'm definitely looking forward to the build and have a cafe look to it.

Mike

Looks like you have a bit of work to do and parts to get but the most important thing is you have it:thumbsup:

I have no doubt I'll get there. My wife did tell me it would be a slow build so I have that to look forward to. But for free I couldn't pass it up.

Yea SS brake line is definitely worth putting on. Good chance the original is still on there

The tail was chopped by the previous owner. I'm gonna leave it like that and go from there.

I looked at the dual brake setup in the brakes section and I plan on doing that before I ride it much further than the neighborhood.

dual brakes are a nice upgrade, but I feel like my single disc with the good brake line and pads, and well-adjusted and working MC stops me plenty fast. I recommend servicing the current brake before spending money on another one. Unless you know for sure you want duals of course, then just go ahead.

Ill be honest the single front brake has always felt soft to me compared to the brakes on a more modern sportbike. Would benefit from a SS line.

dual brakes are a nice upgrade, but I feel like my single disc with the good brake line and pads, and well-adjusted and working MC stops me plenty fast. I recommend servicing the current brake before spending money on another one. Unless you know for sure you want duals of course, then just go ahead.

Never underestimate the pleasure of stoppies :yikes: sure it's overkill but who doesn't love overkill :bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike: and :D

Well if you guys think a single with a couple upgraded parts are sufficient then I'll do myself a favor and stick with the single. All my others had duals but then again they were 25 years newer with the power to match.

I just know I really like being able to stop when I want to.

and enough weight and power to use both!!! I know first hand what to much braking power can do in an emergency you don't get more stopping power when you grab it quick the wheel stops and the bike slides on through:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back