New xs400, but long time xs650 owner.

CDNTX650

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always knew one day id own the little brother....far smoother running little brother. hahaha. Have a KLR250 im just not using, so a friend of my wife has a very nice 79 xs400, the econo model with drum front and kick start only. Pretty nice machine, ill get some pics when i get it tomorrow. has 3000 original kms. it does run and drive, but needs a total carb overhaul, which is fine by me. After i spent a alot of winter doing that to the bs34 on my TX650a i can do it with my eyes closed..throttle shaft seals too. Not sure what else it needs. i think he said he did tires...so sounds like ill just go through it and grease everything and check the wiring harness connectors.

my beloved TXa....waaaay to much work to list. Spare motor i built with welded crank pins and some other mods going in this winter. This one is stock with new stem seals. Brembo 2 piston caliper, New bonneville shocks for 3/4 inch more height. bronze swinger bushes, custom wiring harness and blade fuse block. paint... Just way to much work into it to list it all.

IMAG0306.jpg

The early drum and wire wheel models are pretty much the most desirable SOHC XS400s, so good on you for tracking one down. Your TX looks as nice as any I've seen.

Yeah im pretty stoked. Hopfully it doesnt need much other than labour. My klr is mexhanically excellent. From what i can see though, it wont need much, other than labour like carb work. Also noticed, my cheapo triumph repo muffler on the right side of my tx is cracking at the body. Which means i may just order reverse cones....

I have a 79 2f also:) The 77-79 xs400 carbs are different than the 80-84 xs650 bs34's. The biggest thing to look out for is the idle mix screws breaking off in the carb bodies.

This is what they look like. They have no washer or o-ring in the assembly and are not stepped. They are just long and pointed.

Attachments

• DSC02679.jpg
    DSC02679.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02680.jpg
    DSC02680.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 75
Back