New XS400 owner. A biker is born.

allanrps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, and the world of bikes in general, and I figured I'd just introduce myself. I did already post one thread listing almost of the bolts on the xs400 in stainless, which I hope will be useful to some. It can be found here:http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12776

My names Allan. I'm a kid living in my parents house in Pittsburgh, PA. This last year I left school and decided to homeschool myself. Following the inevitable insanity that comes from a year of isolation and a severe existential crisis, I decided that I wanted to get a motorcycle and live in the saddle as I explored the new world. So a month ago, after some time of looking for a cb350 or sr500, I got a hold of an xs400. I was loosing listings for cb350s not even hours after they were posted. The xs I got was 2 weeks listed. Any disappointment I had from not getting one of my choice bikes dissipated the moment I loaded the thing up on the trailer. By the time I got home I was ecstatic. The bike was alot rustier the morning after I brought it home than the night before... must have been something about the Pittsburgh atmosphere:umm:. Anyway, here she is:

photo1.JPG

1,100 original miles. It sat in the garage for 30 years before the PO bought it last season. It ran when the PO put the carbs from his other bike on it, but mine were too soiled. Electronics all worked, but no battery. A couple other minor issues too. Plastics are in good condition. He said he tested the compression at about 95 lbs for both cylinders. He sounded pretty happy with the number, so I'm really hoping he just didn't know what he was doing when he tested it. The parts of the engine I took a peak into looked spotless, and surely the thing couldn't have gotten that bad just sitting around sealed up and full of oil. He said he had title in hand, but when I got there, he said that when he went to get it, the title was actually for his other xs400, which I did see next to the one I bought. He showed me the insurance and registration for the bike, VINs matched, so I figured it was pretty safe. He had the plate too, but now that I think about it, I didn't make sure the plate matched the registration. His other bike couldn't have been registered though. I held off $100 till I got the title in hand. I know, I should have held half the value of the bike, if I even stuck around, but I was pretty overwhelmed at the time. I still don't have the title, but I am quite confident I will get it in the near future. The PO said he's working with the notary. It is possible I got scammed and he forged the documents, but the logistics of it and my impressions from talking to the guy and hearing his stories about the bikes and his suggestions have me pretty convinced he'll come through.

I've spent the last month making good progress on fixing up the thing. A member from advrider (coolest forum) has been giving me a hand with that.

Things done include:
New Tires and Tubes
Wheels Balanced
New Wheel Bearings
Carbs disassembled, cleaned, partially rebuilt and rejetted
K&N air filter installed
Rear Master Cylinder disassembled and cleaned
New Front Master Cylinder ordered
Brake Calipers disassembled, cleaned, and de-rusted
Full set of stainless allen socket bolts ordered to replace the jis screws
New sparks installed
Oil drained
Rotors sanded
Axles greased
New handlebar, grips, and mirrors purchased

Things in my sights are:
Compression test!
Clean her
Install master cylinders and fill up brake lines
Go through the front shocks
Connect crank case air inlet to K&N filter
Fill up oil
Swap out screws
Replace bar and controls
Put the rusty old exhausts on
Start her up!

Future Plans:
Fab ammo can pannier rack
Paint tank and fenders gloss black
Swap headlight unit for halogen
Make ABS Fly Screen
LED tail and turn signal lights
Install fork gaiter
Weld mono-shock?
Dual-sport wheel spoked proportions?
RS250 front end? (dreaming)

Well, now that you know the name of my dog and what I got on my third grade report card, I'll call this introduction done.

Welcome! bike looks pretty nice and 1100 miles :O what is up with people buying bikes and not riding them... Better make that number go up soon :wink2:

here's some info in case you need any click and click

thanks guys. Willem, those threads you put together look great. I remember finding the first one before I brought the bike home, but It's been a while since I looked at it. I'll start going down the list!

So I'd been talking with the PO for a while about the title situation, and a couple weeks ago he told me that the title was sent to his old address, and he needed to get a hold of the notary in the other city to get it sent to his new address. After a couple weeks of not calling, or being able to call the notary, he got a hold of them yesterday and told me that the title should be on the way to his house within the next week or so. I haven't been working on the bike much recently because of school, but hopefully in a couple weeks' time I'll have a running, titled bike!

Back