NEW XS400 owner, have a few general ?'s

Mjolnir2k

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I just purchased a 1983 XS400 Maxim (w/ 10,235 Miles on the Odo) and wondering if anyone has any general advice about this bike, engine reliability, maintenance needs, things to watch for, general impressions, or any other comments that might be helpful to a new owner.

This is my first street bike, so I opted to go with this model because it seems to be pretty "newbie" friendly. She looks in pretty good shape, just needs a battery to get going. Also missing the plastic side covers and and such, which I am hopeful to find online. Hopefully not having these won't harm the motor in any way (I see the air filter is exposed).

Thanks in advance for any info you want to share.

Attached a few pic's of the new ride for reference.

Attachments

• 5Nc5G55K93Ib3Ne3H7c3pa2595e2b6d8d18b6.jpg
    5Nc5G55K93Ib3Ne3H7c3pa2595e2b6d8d18b6.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 5I75Ld5S63G63M73Hfc3peb2e7930712b12d5.jpg
    5I75Ld5S63G63M73Hfc3peb2e7930712b12d5.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 5G45K25J83L93Nd3Hec3pbb6ebe4fb03119e9.jpg
    5G45K25J83L93Nd3Hec3pbb6ebe4fb03119e9.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 5G65H55J73G63F93Nbc3pc15f2c0f16901fbe.jpg
    5G65H55J73G63F93Nbc3pc15f2c0f16901fbe.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 193
Side covers are mostly cosmetic, but also keep water out.

Just keep the oil filled and change it; other than that the carbs tend to need cleaning if the bike sits for a very long time. There aren't a lot of problems with xs400s beyond getting neglected for decades.

You could go through the service manual and make sure all of the maintenance is done. Really though, these bikes are solid and simple to work on.

I have this bike, and I do like it quite a lot: this is my 5th motorcycle, and to be fair, whichever one i have at the time is my favourite.

Just needs a battery? I assume you've heard it running. Just keep the maintenance up to date (especially things like valve tappets and keeping the carbs clean) and they're pretty bulletproof.

In stock trim, don't expect to win any drag races, but enjoy it for what it does - it's a great city commuter bike, and a bit of a hero bike: the low riding position means you can do pretty much anything on this bike without binning it.

Oh - I have some extra side covers that you can have gratis. They're not in the best shape, and you can practice painting them to match your bike (they're currently "mostly purple." PM me if you're interested.

Looking at the pics, it looks pretty clean. I'd get rid of that wind screen - I had a Spitfire screen on my first bike, and found there was lots of wind buffeting, and my mileage was poo when it was on. Top speed on this bike is only about 95 mph, so my recommendation is to just enjoy the wind.

Just needs a battery? I assume you've heard it running. Just keep the maintenance up to date (especially things like valve tappets and keeping the carbs clean) and they're pretty bulletproof.

I actually haven't heard it running yet. When I went to see it the battery was being charged. She wouldn't fire over, but it didn't sound like anything other than a dead battery. Just wouldn't quite catch.

I actually left it with the seller (who seems pretty reputable) so he could get her running. He did tell me that he had it running with no issues this season already so I am hopeful it's going to be ok. The bike certainly looks very clean and I do have his registration which shows it was on the road up to this year.

In stock trim, don't expect to win any drag races, but enjoy it for what it does - it's a great city commuter bike, and a bit of a hero bike: the low riding position means you can do pretty much anything on this bike without binning it.

I am a first timer, so I wanted something that was reliable (i.e. not in the shop more than on the road) and not a death rocket (speed wise) to keep temptation down to a minimum. I have a little bit of a "lead foot", so I am self governing on this one. Really I just want it for a back road, be-bopping along bike to enjoy some fresh air and sunshine and maybe toss my wife on the back for a Sunday cruise through the countryside. I also dig the looks of the bike and may at some point go "cafe" with her.

Back