New xs400

halfbreed4lyfe

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I thought I already posted my thread but I cant seem to find it so one more intro, I just bought. Well its a 1980 XS400 Special, I bought it for 575 in Wisconsin, yesterday and drove it home 120 miles. It ran the entire way no problesm that I could notice other than a slight exhaust leak fromthe right pipe, and the left pipe flew off while driving I didn't know but my wife told me when we stopped for food. So now its just really loud. Heres a picture.
XS400.jpg
Well I've read through a few threads on the site and you are exactly the people I need to talk to. I want to convert to cafe but rather slow as I will be riding to school once I get the new pipe put on, and the maintenance checks that I found on the site as well. So I would really like some advice on wear to start on the build, that wont put her out of commission for more than a few days. Any advice will help thanks all. BTW I've removed the back seat rest and saddlebags, as well as the fishing pole holders on the back seat brace. I'll take another pic soon.

If its running good and you will be driving it during the build, start with the safety systems first. Rebuild the front caliber and master cylinder. Replace the front pads. Replace the front brake line with a stainless braided unit. Replace the rear drum brakes. Check/lubricate the clutch and throttle cable and replace as necessary. Check the wheel bearings and repack/replace as necessary. Clean and repack the neck bearings. Verify all the cotter pins are in place (most were missing when I bought my son's XS400). Drain and replace the fork oil. Replace the fork seals as necessary.

Correct it is running good, so i will take your advice and start there. I don't know how to do any of those things but I am mechanically inclined (I would hope so being a mechanical engineering student). So I'm guessing I'll have to by a manual, are there any preferred ones to look at I saw some pdf.s here on the site, and some Chiltons ones on Amazon/Ebay. The previous owner gave me an exhaust sealing ring, and a set of front brake pads with the bike, so I'll hit these brakes up first. Also took one more picture today because I'm kind of obsessing over her.
xs400side.jpg

Your exhaust rings will more than likely fix your leaks. Just make sure that you re-install your collars in the right direction. Been there, done that :p
You'll want to download the manual for a SOHC bike. It's free from here, but you can't take it to the garage as easily. I like my Haynes manual as it's pretty detailed and accurate (minus a few measurements). You'll figure out which ones they are if you spend some time on here.
With a cafe racer, the biggest obstacle will be figuring out what hardware you want to keep/upgrade on the bike and don't want to keep. Ideally you can make your changes slowly and ride in between, but many people get so wrapped up in the build that they decide to take it off the road for a few weeks to concentrate on getting it just right.
Welcome to the forum :)

Plan and dream, set a goal, and then go for it with single minded determination. There are a ton of great looking customs out there, and if you have a solid roller (which you do), then you can go piece by piece.

The seat and tail will be one of the biggest, hardest parts of the job. Plan, read, practice, and then figure out how to do stuff like modify the frame while keeping it rolling (if it's a daily driver.)

So I was checking bsics after school today and oil is full and clean but I will still be changing it soon to make sure there is no shavings or colors floating around. I also was checking over the front brake line and it is already a braided hose is that stock or did the previous owner change it. Not previous previous, because the guy who sold it to me had it a month then got put on oxygen, and cant ride anymore. Heres a pic.
IMG_20120625_142826.jpg

and these tires look fairly new as well
tires.jpg

Well I should have time Friday to change fork oil and seals and front brake discs, but holy hell this thing is loud with the left slip on gone, I feel like I'm waking the dead when I ride.:yikes:

The braided brake line is an aftermarket piece. Thats a great step to upgrading the front brakes. You may have gotten lucky and the PO rebuilt the MC and caliper also. You could try asking him and maybe save a few bucks.

Really interested in this BMW tank, its a real sexy stout tank. Doesn't look super long like the stock one, has knee dents already and pads. What do you guys think? Wont be this specific one because it will be somthing I buy later down the line and it will cost more than most parts for the bike (BMW):shrug:
KGrHqJHJwE7oIik3BPD1Os3U1w60_35.jpg

Back