Newb looking for mod advice and suggestions.

jrrkulp

Mad Hatter
Reaction score
So ok, I'm a newb. As in I've owned my 81 XS400 Special II for a week and its my first bike.

That being said, my urge to get out and ride is warring with my innate compulsion to tinker and modify. This I guess goes hand in hand with going to school for Mechanical Engineering.

So my situation is this, I'm a poor married college student with no shop and a pitifully small budget, and I'd like to change the look of my bike to something vaguely bobber, though with two seats so I can convince my wife to ride with me.

My to do list so far:
1: Exhaust (headers look good, mufflers are shot)
2: Hidden rewire (Fairly confident in my ability to do this)
3: Single center mounted speedometer
4: Shorten rear shocks and mount fender on swing arm.
5: Better seat.

I'm at work so pictures of what I'm working with will have to follow tomorrow. I'd love any suggestions on how to accomplish these items, or any other ideas or suggestions.

PS
My stylistic likes:
Bobber
Street tracker.

Dislikes:
Cafe racer (I didn't buy a crotch rocket, I can think of better ways to abuse my gonads)
Chopper (the raked front just doesn't do me.)
Ape hangers (I'm built like a gorilla anyway, no need to accentuate that fact)

Welcome to the forum! From one mechanical engineering student to another, this is nothing like what they teach you in class :p
To cover the topics you highlighted:
I would have a look online for mufflers. Emgo sells an inexpensive pair that will make sure your noise levels are within reason.
If you have access to tools, you can modify your existing HUD to mount your speedometer in the center and either move the indicator lights elsewhere or delete them altogether.
I've seen a lot of people building bobbers replace their existing rear shocks with those of a Honda Rebel. If you can find them in good shape at a salvage yard, you will be one step ahead. Expect about 2" of drop at the rear. While you're there, if you have access to a welder at some point, weld together a fender and about 36" of thin bar and mount it to your fender to the rear axle.
A dual seat for a bobber isn't common from what I've seen, but if you take some inspiration from brat-styled bikes, you may be able to get away with a seat big enough for two.
Keep us updated, especially with pictures :)

welcome aboard.the xs 400 is a good,reliable easy to work on bike.get up some pics.we are picture junkies!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the responses guys!

Haha JAR, I agree ME professors need a bit more of MacGyver in them.

Any ideas on mounting the mufflers? Should I just pay someone to weld them up or if its temporary, should I just use muffler clamps and use the bolts to hang to the frame?

The instrument change shouldn't be hard and I've heard of speedos with built in lights.

I loved waycoolsportster's bike with the Rebel shocks, that's what I have in mind.
I saw a Swedish bobber (forget the builders name that made cool bolt on fenders, but he made custom threaded fittings.

I was thinking of a flat seat, a la tracker, mounted level with the ground. Idk how that would look, definitely need to redo the rear lights and brackets.

Thanks in advance for any more input.

I actually had WCS's build in mind when I wrote the bottom half. If waycoolsportster reads this, the gig is up. Your bobber is inspiring!
I would suggest you use exhaust clamps on new mufflers. It's easier to get them off (which will always happen, believe me). They're inexpensive at your nearest auto parts store. You can also try to use a piece of scrap aluminum to cradle your exhaust with. Short enough mufflers might not even need support (think torque vs. strength of your exhaust collars).
I should probably ask what inspiration you want to draw from with the seat. If you can find a picture somewhere, there should be someone who can direct you (or at least tell you what doesn't work).

Ok this is what I'm working with.

#1 Yes the bike is purple. I was my buddies wife's bike, and as purple is my wife's favorite color it played a big role in convincing her to let me buy the bike.

#2 This is why mufflers are a top priority.

#3 I need a new ignition switch, the old one broke, and I bought it like this. Works, but ugliness is now my only theft deterrent.

#4 I really wanna clean up the rear view, the side by side rear light and brake light annoys me. Any ideas of what looks good?

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 500
  • IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 366
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 373
  • IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 369
Oh and JAR, I really don't like the idea of unsupported exhaust, too much leeway for fatigue etc in my opinion.

BTW, The exhaust crossover on the special 2 can be eliminated no problem right?

Think I need to tweak my clutch, it's acting rather binary. I'm constantly stalling the bike when I'm trying to leave a stop. I've driven manual cars off and on for a while, so it's not completely the fault of my newb status. Gonna have to play with it I guess. It sucks stalling it, getting flustered, and revving enough to launch myself forward. :S

Love the seat Pork Chop! Much sexier than stock. Thanks for the link.

I'm about to try adjusting my clutch. Found out my clutch problem, I was assuming it would partially engage soon after it left the fully gripped position. Turns out it starts engaging half way out or more, so I have to feel for the bite as I'm throttling up or I'll end up gassing too hard for the amount of clutch.

Just remembered the PO "adjusted" the clutch for his wife. The lock screw under the sprocket cover was several turns out from resistance. Shifts so much better at 1/4 turn out. XD

Back