newbie bad petcock ?

cdf43

CCobra
Reaction score
so im fairly new to bikes
i did a search but couldnt find my answer, if a thread on this is out there point me in that direction

i have a 1980 xs400 special 2
my petcock has RES On and prime

when i take the fuel line off gas pours out in all positions, so the petcock im assuming is bad.

are they easy to rebuild or should i replace, again im fairly new to bikes

also, with it being bad am i doing any damage like flooding to the carbs or anything, should i park it until its fixed?

alright ive kinda figured out the petcock is bad, im gonna order a rebuild kit and try to fix it, but i still have the question of is it doing any damage like flooding, should i drain the tank and park it till i fix it?

not really doing damage. the floats in your carbs stop the flow once they get enough fuel in the bowls (assuming they are set correctly).

Just fer your info...if the oil level all of a sudden jumps up or is really high..could have fuel in it. Also .....smell yer oil or dipstick...if it smells strongly of fuel...dump it and replace.If fuel is dripping out of yer air filters...also indication fuel might have over flowd and most likely is in yer crankcase. Dump and replace.Fix the issue.
Oil cost vs burnt engine cost :shrug: easy choice!

thanks for the replys, i watched a couple videos, im just waiting on the parts throught the mail then im gonna tackle it.......i should be able to do it no problem, i am a automotive mechanic by trade

Back