Newbie stoping in

BDxs400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey XS400 just wanting to say hi and join in on this great forum. Ok so recently I got myself an 82 xs400r, got lucky and was able to trade car parts for it. Although with that I needed to help rebuild the bike, that ok though because I was able to learn a lot about this bike and become very familiar with it. Ive had it for about 2 weeks now and have fallen in love with it, its my first bike, besides that I think it is a great looking bike especially for its age. Ive been riding every single chance I get. While reassembling I needed to replace a few small parts like the both carb jets and the gasket for the bowls, new chain, and flush out the front brake. Other than that everything else was in great condition... It also came with a new battery :thumbsup:. The bike itself has 25,000 miles on it but it seems to want to just keep on running. got unlicky with it last night though the rear brake arm had gotten loose while riding and when I went to use the brake it fell off and snapped my rod and tore the arm that applys the shoes. Found a whole new assembly for 20 bucks shipped to my house hopefully get here before the weekend. cant wait, while reading a few things on this forum I believe I read something about jet position as far as how far they are tightened into the holes them selves, while I was reassembling these I didn't know that this needed to be done and just snugged them too the bottom:shrug:. Its been running fine but it seems to almost loose a tiny bit of power between 5-7 rpms, not sure if this is just me or if its the way the bike is. Been getting decent milage out of it went 200 miles and still had 1.7 gallons left.

sorry for the long post just wanted to get everything off any suggestions will be greatly appreciated:)

Attachments

• 20140609_183949.jpg
    20140609_183949.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 273
Welcome! That's a nice looking Seca you have there BD. :thumbsup:

The main and pilot jets should be tightened just snug, the pilot screws (idle fuel mixture) should be 2.5 turns out from (gently!) bottom as a starting point. Final adjustment of the pilot screws is "what ever" is required for a good idle. Anything more than 4 turns out suggests larger pilot jets are needed. Every bike is different. Don't forget to sync the carbs using a manometer when done.

With regards to your power drop between 5-7000 RPM, that sounds like the diaphragms may have tiny leaks. Or the needles may need to be adjusted richer.

There are plenty of threads here dealing with tuning. Use the search box in the top left of every page. Just keep in mind that you have a DOHC engine and not a SOHC, so 90% of what you find won't be exactly what you need.

Thanks guys, it idles great have to give a little twist to the throttle to get it turned on but after that it says running. Got that assembly for the rear brake went to put it on a little bit ago and realized the shaft going into the drum had gotten bent and torn up so looking on good ol' ebay for a new drum with the rod in it. guess I should look for a manometer as well anyone know where I can find a cheap one just searched quickly seeing 100 bucks.

one more thing anyone know where to find the left side cover that back by the battery been having a hard time finding one

Welcome! Nice seca, that's the best model xs400 :D (and I'm totally biased)

there's some links in here for a home made manometer too :)

Nice write up willem I will have to do this one day after work seems very simple,

Back