Newbie with a choke question

Adam Pound

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hi from the land of sweltering heat and humidity....Ontario of course!

I picked up a '77 Yamaha XS400 back in 89, so it was old to begin with, and never really checked it out. Now I am looking at it, and the choke seems a bit weird. It only moves about 1/8". That can't be normal can it?
:wtf:

Adam

Actually,it is an enricher,that adds richer mix of gas instead of "choking"off the air supply.Maybe it's all gunked up. lha

I think you must be right. I can't see why there would be so LITTLE movement unless it was gunked. Well I need to clean the carbs anyway, so I'll handle that at the same time. Item #456 on the to do list!

in for a penny, in for an Adam Pound :D

welcome to the forum mate, it would be easier just to strip the carbs down completley rather that having to do it at a later stage!

in for a penny, in for an Adam Pound :D

welcome to the forum mate, it would be easier just to strip the carbs down completley rather that having to do it at a later stage!
Trusta a Mancunean to come up with that groaner ;-)
You're right though drewpy, that's exactly what I will be doing, to spare the pain of doing it later anyway.

The 1977 xs400D only had a one stage choke, so it should only move out one time.:thumbsup:

Even if it is a single, I am guessing it still ought to move more than 1/8"?
Like to know for sure before I start GENTLY tapping on it with my hammer, LOL

Last edited:
No prob:thumbsup: I know there was a lot of little differences between uk and us models.:bike:
us xs400's went 2 stage choke in 78

Last edited:
I have a '77 xs400 and mine is also a two stage choke and like HoughMade said it moves about a 1/4 inch for the first pull and another 1/4 inch for the second altho IMHO I think it moves nearer to a half inch on each pull ;)

Oh and there is a definitive click you can feel at each pull (hope that helps?) lol

With 30+ year old bikes its now uncommon that carbs have been replaced with newer or different ones. Just saying that the oem 1977 xs400D (which was made in 1976) Would have had a single stage choke, for those who would be restoring them to factory condition:)

Now the next problem. The plugs have been replaced, new ignition coils as well and all the electrics check out but I am still not getting any spark. Any ideas?

Now the next problem. The plugs have been replaced, new ignition coils as well and all the electrics check out but I am still not getting any spark. Any ideas?

don't make sense, if the electrics check out then you have spark surely! there must still be an electrical problem. do you have points or tci?

Yeah, I'll be checking the points this evening after work. Figures they are behind the one cover that has a STRIPPED SCREW HEAD on it! ARGH!!! Gap should be what, about 0.005" to 0.008" on the contact points right? Still have to clkean the carbs as well...always somethjing with these "simple" bikes, LOL!
Even though I'm Canadian I use imperial, as I work in the sheet metal industry, and we are still old school, hehehe

Adam, dumb question, are you sure the engine stop switch is in the "ON" position? I don't know how many times I have just nudged the switch off centre when messing with something then spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out why the bike won't start. Emabarrassing as Hell once it dawns on you to check that switch but we have all bin there/dun that. :doh:

63-Coupe...I actually did check that just in case. I laughed when I did 'cause I've worked with guiys who told me their 'puter was dead when they hadn't even plugged in the monitor! LOL!!!

Back