Newby to XS400 need advice

Scott55

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, well over the last week I have scoured the internet and the forum and have just ended up with more questions. A week ago I picked up a 77 XS400 for $150. What did this get me? A hard tail roller frame with a motor, what am I missing? All of the wiring and ignition, front brakes, clutch cable, exhaust, lights, etc. My main question is this, is there any way to fit all of the ignition off of a 650 onto the bike and make it work? I read the posts about adapting the fancy 650 alternator setup and all the wiring schematics etc, but I have no idea where to start. I can't find any setups on line and the local dealership (K&N in Tulsa) can get everything except the regulator and rectifier. I just really need advice on how to go about finding everything I need to get it started. It's going to be a bobber so minimalist is the way I want to go. I can make my own wiring harness just really need advice. Yes I have used the search function, I'm just wondering if there are any hidden places to get the parts I need or what will interchange. I'm used to fuel injected bikes, and do know my way around carbed cars, had a 68 beetle and did a 302 carbed swap into a 90 rx7. Just asking for advice.

Hi Scott and welcome :) This electrics stuff is tough. The problem with the 650 ignition is that, despite being a yamaha parallel twin from the same era, it is built for a 360 degrees crankshaft setup. The xs400 uses a 180 degree setup.

I'd say you're probably going to have to get lucky and find either a donor bike locally or see if you can get some stuff from a complete part out. Keep an eye on the classifieds here on the site, as well as ebay and your local craigslist. These are old bikes and if you don't want to pay too much, you'll have to be patient sometimes.. :shrug:

Here's a thread to get you started on some maintenance

Yeah, the plan is to have it be a 2-3 year project, but you guys know how it is. Once the projects in the garage you just want to dive in and get it done. Lol. Thank you for the info.

There is a thread on here where Drewpy outlines his complete rewire. http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5934

Its worth looking into.

In terms of ignition, i would keep an eye out on ebay and salvage yards. Stuff like this turns up. In fact i just bought a regulator and rectifier off ebay, as well as a safety relay for my 79'

You can use www.boats.net to find original parts numbers, and see whats still available and what is not [marked as obsolete]. Available parts can still be ordered, while obsolete parts will put you on an ebay hunt. For that just click on the parts number and it will list all other years and models that same parts number is used on. That way you know if a 78 or 79 model year part will fit on your bike rather then looking for only 77 parts... It will speed up the acquisition process lol

Good luck!

I feel your pain about a 3 year project turning into 3 months! Just got mine in October and I've already got her on the road! I've found a lot of my parts on Ebay pretty easy and cheap.

Thanks for the help guys. I went on another salvage hunt today. Couldn't find anything ignition wise, but managed to find some exhaust or so I thought. Was labeled xs400, but got them home and they are way too small to fit in the head. I measured and the pipes are 1 1/2" which is the size I found online, but looks to be more like 2 inch coming out of the motor? I'm just going to buy pipe and the flanges and make it myself. What is the correct diameter of the pipe?

I get 45mm OD on a stock pipe.

Attachments

• DSC02295.jpg
    DSC02295.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 234
Well after tons and tons of searching I'm starting to lean toward just building a 650. So if anyone needs/wants a hard tail 400 frame or a motor I'll sell or trade to get xs650 stuff. I know it's probably a mistake.

The exhaust you have may be correct. You will need the 2 piece collars that go between the flange and head to tighten properly. You can make them out of pipe.

How about some pics of what you have. The aftermarket exhausts use a different end than the stock pipes do. The set I have are 1.5 OD and use longer flat spacers than the stock pipes have.

Attachments

• DSC02320.jpg
    DSC02320.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 287
I can't get my phone to upload a pic, but the flange won't even work, bolt holes are .5" closer together than the studs on the motor. Took them over to a buddies house because he thought they would work on his xs250 and they look to be too small for his also.

Ok guys now i have a really interesting question. I was talking to a couple of guys in my motorcycle group and a few have been talking about using an MSD style ignition box to run the bike, essentially bypassing all of the original stuff and replacing it with "modern" electronics. Any thoughts on this?

The 80-82 sohc xs400's has a TCI ignition and works well. Don't think MSD makes a system for the xs400. I think they are for cars:confused:

What are you trying to do exactly? What's your goal? You mentioned selling the project before. Does this mean you're going to keep it?

I just like to know why before diving into a question like that. What is the purpose? You're making a simple issue complicated, so what's the payoff should you get it to work?

I'm going to stick with it, too stubborn to get rid of it I guess. The payoff is getting the thing to run so I can ride it. Reason I'm asking is because I would like to see what options are out there. So far I haven't had much luck finding the parts I need. I know MSD doesn't make an ignition kit for bikes, just meant an aftermarket ignition system. It just baffles me that there are so many options for the 650 and not many for the 400, it seems like a simpler ignition system so there should be options. I realize it wasn't as popular as the 650, just seems odd.

It's just the way it is; the 650 has a good amount of aftermarket support. The 400? Not so much.

What parts do you need exactly? I can't imagine an MSD ignition being cheaper than a used xs400 one.

Wiring Harness (can make myself) Regulator, Rectifier, Coils, Starter Switch/Solenoid. Everything Ignition related basically. Like I said, I have a rolling Frame with motor that has the starter motor and stator and that is it other than the handlebar switch. No wiring whatsoever. Going barebones as in bare minimum to have it running with a headlight and taillight.

Thank you, i knew about mikesxs but didn't about the other. ebay has been kinda hit or miss, many of the salvage yards on ebay won't guarantee the part and are charging an arm and leg for it.

Back