No Compression After Top End Rebuild

You should be able to wiggle the rocker at TDC and feel that there is a gap on both sides. Who says?

From the factory service manual:

valve1.png

valve2q.png

Oh oops, I didn't mean clearance between the rocker arms and valves, I meant clearance between the valves and valve guides. :laugh:

Know what- probably not an oops on your part....more of an oops on my part.

Good luck!

...but I still don't know what valve guides would have to do with compression....unless we are on to something else completely....it's been a rough day.

Oh, it has nothing to do with that problem. It's just a new problem I have discovered while tearing the engine down a second time :D

The compression thing, I think, is due to stuck rings. The pistons are soaking in berryman's right now. I am going to throw it all back together once my new gudgeon pin circlips come in. The book says not to re-use these circlips, so I have to wait :yikes:

yep, allways renew circips. they costs peanuts but cause $$££'s worth of damage.

don't ping them into the crankcase, put rags in the crank mouths!

Have you ever tried wiggling them when they are cold? I am also working in a cold environment and I wonder if this is exaggerating the problem since I was kicking it over cold at near-freezing temperatures.

manual doesn't mention the air/part temp. I assume that both metals are not too dissimillar in densities!

Back