No Power above 4000/5000 rpm

roloscot

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am not sure if anyone can help but I am extremely frustrated :banghead: because I cannot seem to fix this recurring problem with my Yamaha xs400D 1977. The problem is that I have no power above 4000/5000 rpm. When I open up the throttle the bike nearly goes backwards and I get uneven power delivery as well; it feels like that there isn't enough fuel. Below 4000/5000 it seems to run fine and idle isn't too bad either.

This is what I have done so far:

- Two into 1 exhaust
- Cleaned the carburetors out (sent away to do this)
- New main and pilot jets. (2 sizes up from standard)
- Float high set to 28 mm
- Air screws set to 3 turns
- Running Pod filters instead of the standard air filter
- New manifold intakes
- Points adjusted and timing adjusted
- Inlet and Exhaust valves gaps adjusted
- New timer advance

I should also mention that there is a backfire when at idle and one of the cylinders seems to running hotter than the other cylinder.

Any help great appreciated!!!!! Ahhhhhh

Mark.

Are the carbs sync'd? What do your plugs look like? Can you do a plug chop at 4K/5k RPM's and report the results? Gas tank vent clear/ fuel filter clear?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The carbs are sync'd and seem to be ok. I will check the fuel filter. How do I check the fuel filter and what is a plug chop?

I check the plugs and one cylinder seemed fine and the other seemed to be running a little rich.

Mark.

I had this same problem. I fixed it by rejetting. Turned out some dork had put 95 jets it. The stock is 125. If you have a k&n filter you should do 135. Now it runs perfectly from 2000 to 10,000

These engines seem to work best if you keep the revs up. Putting around at 2000-3000 rpm's a lot causes them to load up. When I first got mine, it was so carboned up that it would fall apart above about 6500. I went out on a favorite back road and ran it above 5000 rpm for about half an hour, and it cleared right up. Been fine since then.

These engines seem to work best if you keep the revs up. Putting around at 2000-3000 rpm's a lot causes them to load up. When I first got mine, it was so carboned up that it would fall apart above about 6500. I went out on a favorite back road and ran it above 5000 rpm for about half an hour, and it cleared right up. Been fine since then.

ha ha its called an Italian service! :D

I would try turning the air screws to 2 1/2 turns it seemed to help my bike run better.Check and make sure your spark plugs are properly gapped.Also have you rebuilt or cleaned out the petcok on the tank?

Back