No power, only at park!?

Torshammare

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi i got a xs400se 82 bratstyle project.
All lights and stuff work fine a couple of days ago. But no the only thing working is the oil and neutral light. If i turn the key to Parking the tail and headlight light up.
What is the problem? Do the solinoid haft to be pluged in?
Dont know what to do, wher to start? maybe change the old fuse box to a new one?

82 hmm, let me think, All lights work fine a day ago...But now the only thing is the dash lights. solenoid question... There is two solenoid . One is for the clutch and starter, maybe includes the kickstand. If that is not plugged in, you can't start the bike. The Bike won't know what safety is in what position, and won't start.(I think)

The other one is the Headlight circuit. If this relay is unpluged, then you will not get headlight, (provided we are talking a restored stocked hardware, wire harness) Note: With the relay in place, you will need to kick the engine over to get the head light to turn on. or electric start it a cycle or two, so that the electric start. The stator once it starts to create energy, that will flip the relay on, so that the head light turns on.

But that doesn't solve the problem of why the tail light isn't turning on... I suppose we need to start at the beginning, and check the battery is charged, check for damage to the head light bucket/key switch.I suppose it is possible that you have left the key in a "on" position, and the battery is now dead. If your going to do the common battery test, make sure the jumping battery device (your car) is not on and running, KEEP IT OFF. You do not want the car's 14 volt system going to your bikes system. You can jump your bike, just not with an energized vehicle running.

Does that make sense? remember not everything I state pertains to your bike, that should get you started to figure out what happened.

Change fuses to new ones? If you have time. if the fuse block is crumbling, then you might want to. I have my recommendation, in my photo album, I have seen one person post the use of the old fuse block. I wish I would have dont that upgrade. (i don't remember where/when I seen that upgrade.) maybe it was XChris, or someone else. For immediate check, to ensure you have power on both sides of the fuses, (you still have glass fuses still right?)

Back