Non-Running 78 XS400

ebond

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am the new owner of a 1978 XS400. I've bought it in non-running condition (no battery), but by the looks of the bike and notes from the previous owner, it's in great shape. I should note that this is my first bike. Before I look into any modifications I'd like to get it running in it's current and original condition. I have a manual to refer to for specific procedures. I've been browsing the forums here for a while before I bought the bike to read up on some maintenance tips. My question is: what are the key steps I need to take before I try to fire this bike? It's been sitting for quite a while, not exactly sure how long, and I don't want to damage any components. I know I should get new spark plugs, give it new oil, clean the carbs thoroughly, replace brake fluid, and get a battery. Anything else important? What is the best order for these procedures as well?

Thanks in advance! I'm happy to finally join the community!

I would most definitely install and inline fuel filter which you can pick up at any auto part store. Also make sure the inside of the tank is clean. Chances are its a little rusty and you should try to get as much of it out as possible. You can search on the forum here how people have done it. Also go over all your electrical connections make sure they are nice and tight and all grounds have a clean rust free contact.

If the bike has been sitting a while and you want to make sure it's reliable and safe you should replace vital things, clutch cable throttle cable tires tubes brake pads spark plugs. Plug caps and wires if they are shot and definitely make sure you give the new battery a proper full charge. New chain also

If you take your time you can accomplish anything. I bought my 78 which hadn't been running since the late 80's and the bike is a daily rider now.

Good luck!

Posted via Mobile

MechNewb-Thanks for the link, very helpful. I'll start with those suggestions.

njcafe-Thanks, an inline fuel filter seems to be popular around here and a quick addition. Surprisingly the inside of the tank is spotless. The previous owner cleaned and drained everything before storage (luckily for me). Good point on replacing the cables, I overlooked that one.

Does anyone have any rust-prevention tips? I want to keep this looking nice!

For rust, just keep it clean mostly.

Definitely get an inline fuel filter. I recently got one and replace the fuel line with clear fuel hose. Above the filter (between the petcock and filter) the hose is already stained yellow a bit, whereas below the filter is still crystal clear.

Probably a good idea to check the valves while you have the spark plugs off. How many miles does it have?

Edward-I'll check the valves once I get a set of feeler gauges. Only 11,000 miles on it.

How about the breaker points, worth checking? I'll have to adjust the timing if I mess with those, right?

Download the manuals from here. It goes into all the routine maintenance stuff including setting the points gap. It's available for free on the top of this forum. I'm sure you can find YouTube videos on how to do just about everything on a motorcycle if you need visual help.

Posted via Mobile

thanks mechnewb for linking my thread :)

Welcome ebond, good to see another member join. Don't forget to post pictures of your bike, and so far I agree with all the above

have fun with your new XS !

Thanks for the welcome! I'll try to get pictures up soon.

Another quick question: I'm going to change the oil and filter within the next few days. I realize that draining the oil from a warm bike is ideal. Should I try to get it running with the old oil and do the change once its nice and warm? Or replace the old oil immediately before trying to start it up and settle for not getting every bit of the old stuff out?

If your oil level is ok the way it is I would try starting the bike to warm up the oil. Unless it's been sitting for over a decade, in that case I'd drain the oil cold. There's pros and cons to both, but if you're reasonably sure the oil in there is not completely deteriorated, you can start the bike for a few minutes.

Back