Not a big spark xs wont start

thijs81

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi people,

I am building a xs400 hardtail. U cant read it hear to on this forum. And i made a new wiring harness.... when i start i can see that the spark plug Sparks , but it is not a big clear spark, and the plugs getting wet with gasoline . SO i can see a spark and it gets gas.... I all ready flipt right en left coil kabel. But it wont start :confused:

Is it possibele that the spark is to small? Wiring to thin?
Have anyone a idea?

p.s

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!

What year/model is the bike?
I'm also having the same problem but haven't done much to address it since the fall.

Make sure you download the service manuals available on this forum and go through the ignition troubleshooting steps.
Check the primary and secondary resistance values for the ignition coils. Make sure they're within spec.
Are you running the correct spark plugs?
Have you checked the spark plug gap?
Double-check the ignition timing.
If it's a points ignition check everything there. Pitted, worn, or badly set points can cause poor sparks.

Happy new year, hope you figure it out.

Sorry :doh: thats a little bit handy.

Its a '81 with an Ecu => electric control unit , i dont know how u call it.
Before the bike was running on 1 cilinder. I had a problem with 1 transistor that was defect so i replaced it. Before the bike was running on 1 cilinder.

Now i made a new wiringharness , with only the wirers for the ignition not for the lightsand other things... i see a spark when i have the plugs out but i think its to small. because the bike doesnt start up

Back