Not getting a spark? Help!!

GraysonFleming

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. Got a new battery in my bike. Last time I tried to start it when on a jumper, it ran and sparked great! Strong and steady. Thing is, I have a new battery, voltage reading great, I press start and the starter turns over strong, but their is absolutely no spark! From either side. Tried gas on the plugs, still no spark. Ran great last time, and now suddenly it won't run! Checked my fuses, swapped them around and they all seem to be good. Cleaned connections to the TCI, and they seem good. What could be happening here? I have the bike in neutral and what not, but I just don't get why I'm not getting spark, and why this happened so suddenly. By the way, the bike is an 83 maxim 400. I'm not the best with electronics, so where would be the wires I would test to check the TCI? Is it possible my coils went? Are they known to die suddenly?

Earlier you said you had the bike hooked up to a car charger set on the high amp jump setting I think. Sounds like you may have fried the TCI. If everything else is working ( lights and starter) it's most likely that. A charger set to jump put out to much for a bike. The one I had was 50 amp:yikes:

Thanks xschris! It makes sense! I took the small cover off the TCI box and it had a weird smell to it, think it definitely got toasted lol.

Wow! What an expensive mistake. Wouldn't a high amperage take out a fuse before the TCI? That is there purpose lol. But, I will definitely have a further look. Any one know where I can get the best deal on one?

What amp fuses does your bike have? Sometimes people put too large of fuses in and if there is a surge they will toast parts. Some people can replace parts in the box with new transistors. I have never done it but it may be cheaper than getting another. Ebay has a lot of used ones but they still are $$$:( I would also test the coils to make sure they are ok.

Alright, so I have four fuses, by the looks of it the PO did a good job here. From what I see, the 3rd fuse regulates the ignition system. Fuses too big? CI will be taking the tank and plastics off anyways to paint soon, so I will be checking the coils with the tank off. What should the resistance on the coils read? How many ohms?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 267
3rd fuse meaning between wires (6/7) and here is the TCI. PO broke the plug holder, doubt it would do much, but I just don't feel good with it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 265
Alright, so I have four fuses, by the looks of it the PO did a good job here. From what I see, the 3rd fuse regulates the ignition system. Fuses too big? CI will be taking the tank and plastics off anyways to paint soon, so I will be checking the coils with the tank off. What should the resistance on the coils read? How many ohms?

What are the amp's on the fuses? The main should be 20 and the others 10. If you have not already you need the download the manual for your model bike. I have a sohc bike and I am not sure the coil resistance is the same as the dohc ones.

3rd fuse meaning between wires (6/7) and here is the TCI. PO broke the plug holder, doubt it would do much, but I just don't feel good with it.

I would check the wires and make sure they are connected well. Wires with tape wrapped around them makes me nervous.

I will check, it looks to me though as if they're all 20s, that would explain how the TCI could get fried without blowing a fuse. How a outs could you check for amperage on the fuse?

Back